Avatar universal

27 year old male, puberty not complete?

I believe this question relates to Endocrinology.

I'd like to have a doctor's opinion on my brother's undiagnosed condition. He is 27 years old and of average height, but otherwise looks like an adolescent boy who hasn't gone through puberty.

Symptoms include:

- Childlike, high-pitched voice
- Small hands and unusually thin limbs and fingers
- A notable bump (deformity) in his sternum
- Small, somewhat underdeveloped jaw
- Barely any facial hair, apart from light whiskers
- No sideburns whatsoever, no hairline typical for an adult male
- Keen sense of smell, and sensitivity to strong smells (If not for this, I would believe it's Kallman's syndrome)
- Prone to migraines (possibly unrelated)
- Doctor noticed an unusual sound in his heartbeat when he was a teen, but nothing was found in tests and the sound disappeared.

There may be more symptoms which he won't disclose, and I haven't seen how developed his genitals are in adulthood. In early childhood they seemed typical for his age.

In adulthood my brother (after reading various internet blogs of questionable medical expertise), has come to the conclusion that he is transgender, and offers this as an "explanation" to his medical symptoms. He has never undergone any kind of hormonal therapy.

I however, am convinced that there is an underlying medical condition behind the symptoms, such as a glandular disorder. My family ignores my concerns. Any advice from a doctor is appreciated.
7 Responses
10389859 tn?1409921868
Does your brother think he has a problem?  Does he socialize with others and feel comfortable or is he anti-social?  Do you recall when he was younger that your parents ever brought him to doctors to have him evaluated, or has this been done recently?

You can't force an adult to go to a doctor when they don't want to, but from what you describe, somethings do need further investigation by a heath care provider.

If you have a good rapport with your brother and/or parents, perhaps you can talk to them individually and convey your feelings about this, but ultimately the decision needs to come from your brother.

I'm glad you are a concerned brother. :-)  Keep us informed.
Avatar universal
Honestly, you sound correct, probably at least a deficiency in testosterone.

As far as I know, however, there are not many truly harmful symptoms of this. Provided that your brother does not experience distress as a result of his condition, I don't think you need to be too concerned. If your brother finds comfort in explaining it as being transgender, then he seems to have accepted his condition as how he will continue to be.

It is moving that you are concerned for your brother, but I don't think it is necessary.
10389859 tn?1409921868
There are problems with having a testosterone deficiency including high cholesterol, osteopororsis or low bone mass, loss of muscle tone, loss of libido and erectile dysfunction.

There is nothing wrong with being transgender.

However, I believe there is more going on with the OP as I mentioned above to his brother.
Avatar universal
Are you a medical professional?

He has been extremely anti-social for years.

I blame myself for not forcing him to get diagnosed. He has now managed to convince my mother (who was always oblivious/in denial) that he needs to "correct" his gender. They are soon meeting a doctor to discuss the issue.

If he had previous sexual relationships, maybe I could trust that he knows what he's doing. But he never had a relationship of any kind, physically looks like a child, and is now indoctrinated by fervent armchair activists.
10389859 tn?1409921868
You can't blame yourself for your brother's problems.  He is an individual that can make decisions.  I realize that you are very concerned for him and only want what is best for him.  Just by coming here and asking these question, I can tell how concerned you are, but please do not blame yourself or feel guilty in any way.

If he is seeing a doctor soon, perhaps you can go as well.  If your brother allows it, perhaps you can also talk with the doctor privately and let him know your concerns.
Avatar universal
You're right, it's out of my hands. It has become apparent that my input on the matter is neither required, nor is it wanted.

I will have to put my trust in the professionals who will be handling things from here.

I'd like to thank Foggy2 and Kouu for responding.
10389859 tn?1409921868
You are a good and very caring brother...remember that.  Although he nor your mother may not realize that now, perhaps someday they will.  But in your heart, you know that you have tried your best to help and love him.  Continue to try where you can.  Maybe someday things will change and your brother will see that he is loved by you instead of pushing you away.  I wish you and your family the best of luck.
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the General Health Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1590104173
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
80052 tn?1550343332
way off the beaten track!, BC
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.