Black, swollen and hardened vein on the left arm

Hi Folks:
I just joined the help site with a big concern. Hoping someone can give me some guidance. I was hospitalized for four days a week and a half ago. During my hospitalization, I was given IV on a number of locations on my left arm. The last of the IV sites was just above my elbow.

When I was released from the hospital, this site was red, swollen and itchy...almost as if I was having a reaction. I assumed it was just temporary irritation that would improve over time. But for the next few days, the redness and irritation continued. In fact it got worse, and it kept itching really badly. At one point, it almost looked like it was getting infected. The redness and swelling has subsided a bit over the last few days, but the itching is still there.
Then this morning, my left lower arm and hand began to hurt, almost as if I had somehow strained it. But, frankly, I don't remember doing anything recently that would have strained my wrist of arm. As the day wore on, the pain in my arm, wrist, and hand got worse. I found it difficult to use my hand for anything.

I decided to take a closer look at my arm. I discovered something I hadn't noticed before. Halfway down my lower arm, I noticed a 2-inch section of the vein that runs down the middle of the inside of the arm (Median antibrachial vein?) black, swollen, hard, and painful to touch. This has me concerned. I don’t know if the pain in my arm is related to the vein. I also don’t understand what the condition of the vein signifies. Could it be that the vein has collapsed? Is it a clot? Should I be concerned? I don’t have any insurance, so I can’t just call my doctor and go see him/her.

Any thoughts you have would be truly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Hello jhumurun,

This could possibly be phlebitis or infection. Don't mess around with your venous system and see a doctor straight away to be diagnosed and sure so that if you need treatment you can receieve it,

Rhiannon
Go to the ER that is not good.
thanks RhiannonsMoon and mika91. i'll be going there this morning.