General Health Community

Can a person be unable to ever get fevers?

I have recently been diagnosed with seronegative Lupus.  Part of the reason why it took my rhematologist quite a while to figure out what I had is partly due to my negative blood work but also because I have never had a fever during a flare up.  I told him I have honest to God never had a fever in my life, eventhough I have had all kinds of diseases like Chicken Pox, Pnemonia, true and diagnosed Influenza, and C.Diff which almost always cause a fever.  I don't know what that sensation even feels like, to have a fever.  I was wondering if this is something that people can have, an inability to get fevers.  I am also wondering if not being able to make fevers has any correlation with auto-immune diseases and/or effects the presentation of certain diseases in that person's body.  I haven't been able to find any information about inability to make fevers online and every time I have told a doctor I've never had a fever, they look at me like I'm nuts.  It took four months for two doctors to decide to test me and diagnose me with C.Diff solely because I had no fever.  I just would like to find out some information whether this same inability to get a fever does happen to other people and if there is any data on it.
Some people's temperature registers lower than 98.6.

Mine always comes back as 97.1 or around there for example. So, I rarely have a "fever" either. I don't know what to think when my temperature registers 98.6 since mine consistently shows a lower reading.
I agree with Cindy.  My basal temp normally runs at 95.2....SO when I am really sick...I still only run around a 99.

My doctors look at me like I am crazy too!  My husband never believed me until I was SUPER sick and was still not running a temp.  Then when I was feeling better we took my temp so I could prove it to him....and sure enough...it was only 95.  

Hope this helps!
Tonight I saw your comment (November 2012).  I was wondering if you ever found out more about your question.  I also don't run fevers.  I've puzzled with it for quite some time.  I also thought maybe my regular temperature might just be lower, making my "fever" un-noticable by the numbers.  

However, since my daughter was born nearly 3 years ago I have struggled with "something".  That's what I call it since I can't seem to find any sort of diagnosis.  I've seen a rhumatologist twice after testing with a reasonably high ANA blood tests result.  He told me until I start to develop textbook symptoms I cannot be diagnosed.  They have offered me no treatment.  For the most part I live a fairly normal life.  I do have "flair ups".  My triggers tend to be stress, anxiety, and well sickness (aka a cold).  I have had an MRI to check for MS.  My doctor, told me the results were non-conclusive.  I have spots in my brain similar to that of a person with MS, but none in my spine that they could identify.  So my doctor shrugged it off as either a result of migraines (which I do get) or a possible "early diagnosis of MS"...in which they will do nothing to treat, because, well, its only a hypotitisis.  Which ***** because I know there is something going on, but I also don't want to be treated in correctly for the "flair ups" that I do get.  

I've wondered for a while now if my inability to develop a fever could actually be a "symptom" to what is really going on.  If you have anymore information, I'd love it if you would share.  Thanks.
Hello @serendipity75. I'm reading this ten years after you posted it. I hope you are still around and have more information to answer your question.

I have the exact same condition and I can't find anything online that diagnose a lack of fever. As a child, I had a perforated eardrum because the doctors couldn't figure out I had an ear infection since I didn't have a fever.

I never worried about it because I live a normal life and have gotten used to this. Now I have a 4-month-old baby and I'm worried he may have something similar. I want to know more about this so I can prevent him going through what I when through.

Does anyone know more about this? is there a name for this condition?