Aa
A
A
A
Close
General Health Community
8.85k Members

Constant hiccup like burps

My 17 year old has developed over the last 3 days a very odd symptom.  She has constant burping that is like a small burp hiccup sometimes it is loud.  There is no pain or discomfort in her stomach no bloating no nausea, vomiting no kind of acid reflux.  She feels "pressure" that is relieved like when you need to burp but then it happens again and again.  

It can go constantly or stop for a while and then start up again.  A week prior she was at a fair and rode rides and had some dizziness after and a full spinning kind of feeling stayed with her for 3 days and then 3 days later this started.  

She is a healthy child, she has ADHD and takes Concerta for that, I looked to see if this burping was a side effect of the medication but it is not, she has taken it for several years and only last month changed her afternoon dosage amount.  

Her only other heath issue is that she has a arachnoid cyst that she has had since birth but only discovered last year.  I have researched that and cant find any association to the cyst and burping.
She has been to urgent care and they seemed at a loss and told her to take gasx and gave her a rx for a medication for constant hiccups which we are waiting to be ordered.

Any help would be appreciated.
1 Responses
1530171 tn?1448133193

The vagus nerve is deeply implicated in hiccups.
The vagus nerve -the wandering nerve- starts in the brain and it goes down all the way to the gut,getting involved with the heart, lungs, mouth, breathing,swallowing, vocal cords...

The hiccup reflex control centeris between C3 and C5 (cervical vertabraes) and that's where the vagus nerve comes in, while another nerve leaves this center going down the diaphragm prompting its contraction in order to breathe in.
Multiple impulses prompt muscles involved in breathing out to get engaged and disengaged and as air comes in, within a fraction of a millisecond a signal is sent to the vocal cords to shut down and this results in experiencing a hiccup (audible and feeling it).

This may sound very bizzare to you but a relatively easy hiccup treatment
is to overstimute the vagus nerve deliberately so other signals to the vocal cords get blocked.
Unfortunately the most effective method is also a bit invasive.
It involves rectal digital stimulation in a circular and slow motion.*
--Source--
From my own notes stemming from an article in Annals of Emergency Medicine (copywritten) and titled :
"Termination of intractable hiccups with digital rectal massage."

Also: "Stopping persistent hiccups in the adult by endoscopic maneuver".
---Abstact:
Thirty-four patients with persistent hiccups (median duration 10 days) were treated by gentle endoscopic massage of the region of the cardia. Hiccups stopped in all cases. Its early recurrence in one patient only required a second massage, which was also effective. This simple technique is recommended for the treatment of persistent hiccups.
   ---Source: PMID: 8382900---

Note; The latter one requires a knowlegable medical doctor, whereas the former one can be performed by the patient, herself.
Both work on the same principle and are very effective.

I hope this helps, however, please note that my suggestions and comments are not intended as a substitite for medical advice.

Best wishes and please keep me posted.
Niko

PS
* I have used the rectal digital stimulation successfully, but I am not at liberty to disclose any details.
Have an Answer?
Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1518219421
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482853437
AL
80052 tn?1550346932
way off the beaten track!, BC
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.