General Health Community

Could I have been misdiagnosed with shingles?

I was recently at my local docs office due to a rash I developed on the left side of my face, particularly close to the jaw line. It started out as 1 small area with 2 little bumps on it, until I scratched at it. The rash is very localized and has not spread any further since I started treatment.

The doctor was very brief in looking at it. I told him there was very little pain but the itching was enough to wake me up out of a deep sleep. He surmised rather hastily that it was most likely shingles or impetigo.
The treatments do seem to be helping to reduce the rash (I was given Valacyclovir and Mupirocin 2% ointment to treat both) but the itching is still out of control. Has anyone here experienced an aggressive itch related to these conditions, or do you think it's more likely scabies, or possibly an allergic reaction to some sort of insect bite?

Well it's hard to say but I would try to trust the doctor especially since his treatment regimen is working.  That's a good sign that he was correct with his diagnosis.  Let us know how it heals.