General Health Community

Dizziness, feeling confused, and Gerd

Over the past 4 months I have been diagnoesed with GERD. However, almost exactly to the day, I have had dizzy spells over the past year. Along with the dizziness, there is tension in the back of my head and neck. I have had a MRI- which came back negative and I have had many blood tests which were negative as well. I also recently have started feeling confused at times (its weird) and a shakey feeling. Last week I went to my doctor and they did more blod work (negative) and I had an ultrasound on my gallbladder which was negative. In a couple of weeks I am having the endoscopy test. (Which i am scared about). Also at times I have heart palpitations that scare me. I will admit that I am very stressed out at times due to work and such.

Does anyone have any of these similar symptoms?
What do I do..??
I was first DX'ed w/ GERD in Jan '07. I've had an endoscope done which was negative for anything serious. Don't be scared about the scope, it'll be over with in a jiffy. If you're doctor is half way decent, you will hardly remember the procedure.

The last month or so, I've had dizzy / hazy spells, not every day, but enough to cause concern. My doc (had to switch docs cause the last one wasn't living up to expectations), said that I may have a referred pain that may cause the dizziness, something about the ears and throat sharing nerves and such, I didn't really follow everything he said, but at the time it made sense.

Last year I went to the ER cause (I guess it was my GERD) was acting up really bad and I got so dizzy I thought for sure I was going to pass out. They did an MRI on my neck and head, probably for stroke, but it came back OK as well.

I will say this about GERD, many people have many, many different symptoms. It's a weird disorder/disease and can be very frustrating. Stress is a contributor, IMO, to GERD.

imaximus at insight dot rr dot com
dont worry these symptoms persiste because of the acid in digestion doesnt process well so trigger and to eliminate such problem take a pinch of salt in full glass of water or common soda atleast 250ml ..use these remedies ur main point is to run the digestion process.once this happens ur aim is to get stools this should happen a quite after sometime u do these.im also a sufferer same as ur symptoms with any change all that persists in me especially at nights panic attacks..keep having ginger after every meal.dont use lemon at any cost.use ajwain seeds in a hot water steam them and strain and drink the syrup.all these wil help ur main aim is to stool out the left out stool.ul be okay..follow ur food material whatever your eating be careful with them.search on google and come out with your diet plan dont worry im here like you
I'm not sure,.. never had GERD..BUT i've had the same dizzy spells, head and neck probs.. etc.. and it turned out to be severe anxiety and stress.. dr said that stress can cause really weird symptoms... hope this helps.. could you be worried about something?  I even had numbness in my arms and legs sometims.. had all the tests and ended up being diagnosed with anxiety.  I swore the tests were wrong and kept going back for more but they kept coming back negative.  Maybe that's a possibility..
hey.. can you tell me if you still feel this way?  if so what are you doing about it?

I have felt a bit like this for a few months now, have had blood tests and all came back fine... i find its really the confusing feeling that is then giving me the anixety because i know i dont feel 'right' and yet i dont know why not and no one can explain why not...

Just to share my experience about GERD.   The one thing that has affected me the most is dizziness and inability to eat for days.  Every three to four months, for whatever reason, my GERD acts up very severely, I'd stay in bed for days, extremely dizzy, having to hold on to things to be able to stand up and unable to eat anythign at all.  I would loose easily two kg (four pounds) in a four day period.  Doctors are not giving any straight answers. I have taken Mutillium but doesn't seem to do much. I guess it is something I have to live with and expect.  
Wishes fo good health to all
yeah i have the same dizziness/lightheadednes for about a year every day u lot are describing .....do or did n e of u think u have a brain tumour or think their dying? i feel this way every day and its very stresful in itself. iam only 25 and i think not knowing what the problem is makes the situation worse!
its a kind of not with it feeling ...tierd ....lightheaded and sometimes shakey with neck tension all my blood work came back peachy,iam just working on my doc for an mri or cat scan but thats like getting blood out of a stone lol., i think really in the back of my mind it is stress or anxiety as i have a very busy life of 5 children hehe.
things i have found that help are cutting out all aspartame produts and taking vitamin b complex..n  e one else care to share how they manage? thankyou ure all in my prayers x
I have been undergoing through the same experience. I have been diagnosed with GERD recently and was given proton pump inhibitors and anti asthma medicines because GERD apparently could aggravate asthma. before i was diagnosed i was having chest pains and getting dizzy most of the times. I have been through a battery of tests like ECG, stress test, echocardiography, stress echocardiography, holter monitor, MRI and MRA of the brain, and CT scan of chest and they all turned up negative. Emmapop, I know what you are saying. I really thought i had a heart disease or brain disease and it really creates more anxiety because no one could really pinpoint the exact causes of what i am feeling. Having read some your experiences, it is a bit comforting knowing that there are others experiencing the same. It creates a sense of security that what we are feeling are not as serious as it seems
I just have a question to those with GERD. Do all of you also feel pain or discomfort in your left arm?
I have been getting dizzy spells that last for a few hours since
I was diagnosed with Acid Reflux (GERD). Do you think it is from the meds and not the GERD. Dizziness is a side effect of Zegerid which is what I'm taking. This PPIs have a whole lot of side effects. Pretty scary, almost would rather get surgury than be on this medication forever. There is that feeling in my throat like something is stuck in there and the indegestion. You would think the meds would help that feeling. I have trouble breathing as well and pressure in my breastbone area. Yuck.
I too have been diagnosed with severe GERD and pre-cancerous stage of Barrets, and I'm only 23. When trying to diagnose mine I too went through the battery of tests that included a stress test to asthma tests and even 3 HIV tests, all negative. The heart palpitations that you describe may not be your heart but rather your esophagus, which is what happened to me. I swear to you I thought it was my heart, felt that way and everything, turned out to be esophageal spasms. These spasms and the GERD also seemed to cause sleep apnea, which was discovered by pure luck during the surgery that I had. After that my anxiety, dizziness and even weight-gain seemed to disappear. It took awhile. Some food for thought, and maybe some questions to ask your doctor when you get the endoscopy, and dont worry its not bad.
Yes. Sometimes the pain that you feel may not be where you would expect it. It can radiate down your arm, up your neck and even into your lower jaw.
hello everyone,

its so helpful to be able read what everyone has been experiencing.  i've been having a lot of nausea and dizziness along with heart palpitations for the past few weeks now. think i had the palpitations for maybe the month previous to that but i kept putting it to the back of my mind hoping it would go away, but still really worried that it was maybe my heart. over the past maybe year or so i would every now and then have the feeling of something stuck in my throat.
a few weeks ago a had two scary driving experiences where i felt lightheaded, nauseous and my arms and legs went really weak,it was horrible, i thought i was going to faint at the wheel! i work in a hospital and i got one of the doctors to check me out and he said he thought it was gastritis, i was like what?! how could my acid from my stomach be making me feel this dizzy, and what about the palpitations? but he said that these could all be linked so put me on some gastro resistant tablets for 4 weeks and told me to drink lots of water and eat bland foods. 2-3 weeks on my nausea has eased slightly but not completely, but its the dizziness thats really frustrating me, one minute i'm fine and the next i feel like i just need to lie down, i'm also quite tired all the time! i hate going to the doctor, this is the frist thing ever thats really bothered me and scared me thats made me need to go, so i wouldn't call myself a hypochondriac, but sometimes i do think to myself, is all this just in my head? is this dizziness some kind of panicky symptom triggered by anxiety or something...i don't feel overly anxious about anything other than the usual mundane stuff like money and day to day life! i think i'm really starting to confuse myself and worry myself. i just want this horrible dizzy thing to go away!
does this sound similar to anyone else's experience?

Jo