General Health Community

General health

Is a temperature of 97.7 indicative of illness?
A temperature of 97.7 is a sign of decreased thermogenisis, i.e. lowered metabolism. I would suggest getting your free T4 and free T3 thyroid levels tested. The thyroid is a major component in the metabolism and low thyroid hormones are known to reduce body temperature.
I have hypothyroidism, my thyroid doesn't produce enough thyroid hormone, and my average body temperature is usually about 98.2. (I just took it and its 98.3)  If I go to the doctor and my temperature is "normal" I tell the doctor that isn't "my normal."  Having your thyroid checked is a good idea.  They are going to check your TSH, but you often have to request the T3 or T4 to be checked.  Hope this helps!
No.  Everyone's normal temperature varies.  My normal temperature is 96.3.

I hope this helps.

Millard
Yes, everyone's temperature varies from person to person. When they say your temp should be 98.8 or .7, that is an average.  I normally run 97.6, so if my temp actually reads 99 or more, I am sick, sick, sick. My clinic knows this about me and it's in my chart. Last time I wasn't feeling well and went to clinic, my temp was 99.2 and the nurse said, Oh my gosh, you are sick! Is this the first time you became aware of your temp running a little low? If it is normally higher, I suggest that you check it for  few days. Generally if you had thyroid things going on, you would notice other symptoms, like, hair loss, weight changes, sleepiness, or the inability to sleep, hair loss, memory loss, etc.