General Health Community

I'm an adult idiopathic toe walker, how can I stop my bad habit?

I've toe walked for as long as I can remember. I can walk "normally" with my heels but after a while it hurts to walk on them. Lately it's become more of a social issue rather than a physical one. Someone, whether a co-worker or friend will suddenly ask me why I walk on my toes, and I'll have not noticed at all that I was doing that. It seems so natural, I can't even tell when I'm doing it.

When I took a gym class my senior year in high school, we were doing weights- and I had the worst time trying to squat. My feet kept trying to tip toe when I was squatting, I could barely stay flat footed without falling over. There's lots of information on idiopathic toe walking for kids, along with treatments, but I'm 19! I wear high heel boots, which feel GREAT for a day of walking. I'm a nursing assistant, so I wear tennis shoes for work and they can bend- so they wear down at the crease that's created when I tip toe.

I just want to be able to do squats and stop being asked why I walk like this. A gym employee stopped me one day and told me I'd be shortening my hamstrings to the point where I couldn't walk normally, but there's no help for idiopathic toe walkers!