General Health Community

Is this a bad thing?

I want to know if drinking one beer every day is bad
No; not in Canadian culture anyways. Where you live and the beliefs around drinking alcohol will determine whether or not this is "socially" bad, but science shows that drinking a small amount of alcohol daily (especially from fermented sources) can actually be good for you and in particular, your vascular system. Many societies have or have had alcoholic beverages (especially beer) as their main drink simply because water quality was, or is, poor. To be considered an "alcoholic", you need to drink 6 units of alcohol a day if you are a man, and 4 units of alcohol a day if you are a woman (these are Canadian standards, so you'll have to check what your country's standards are). Let's count one unit as an ounce of liquor or one beer; you should be alright. So long as you aren't getting drunk everyday, you should be okay. Assuming that you are not a youngster with a growing brain and considering that underage drinking is illegal and therefore "bad", you should also be okay (but the age to drink is highly debated, for example: U.S.A. 21 vs. UK 16). Many people drink beer or wine with dinner; despite the alcohol content, these fermented beverages contain antioxidants and can have a relaxing effect which can be argued as being "good" for you. Many will disagree with me, but I believe in moderation when it comes to all things, alcohol included.

*Drinking a ton of alcohol can be damaging to your body, and can cause real trouble if you are a diabetic. Drinking copious amounts can also make you become a diabetic, but then again, so can refined carbohydrates and not nearly enough people hate on those, nor do they regulate them like alcohol. So long as you don't have an allergy to alcohol (some people don't have the enzyme to break down alcohol) or take medication that interacts poorly with alcohol, my personal opinion: drinking one beer a day is fine. Unless you have been told by a medical professional and/or a trusted religious official of a religion that you adhere to, have a drink.

However, if YOU FEEL that drinking one beer a day is an issue, then you should consider replacing it with tea/water/fruit juice. If someone is hassling you for drinking one beer a day, then tell them the facts about how much you need to drink to be considered an alcoholic, and reference beer-drinking/wine-drinking/spirit-drinking cultures that have sustained for centuries, OR take into account the blatant cultural beliefs that surround your drinking and conform if you feel that it's in your best interest. So long as this is not interfering with your life, I think this is fine.
Depends on how much beer you are drinking
As a male it is perfectly healthy to drink 1-2 beers a day.  Alcohol in moderation provides a lot of benefits:

The alcohol itself, studies have shown, has a positive effect in warding off Alzheimers disease, heart disease, stroke, diabetes, gall stones. It also has a positive effect on cholesterol. It appears that moderate amounts of alcohol on a daily basis can increase the HDL cholesterol (good) and reduce the LDL or bad cholesterol. People who have a drink a day on average have a longer lifespan than non-drinkers.

Beer is made from grains, water and yeast. Grains commonly used are barley and wheat (with cheaper, mass-produced beers relying on corn and rice), both of which are loaded with a variety of vitamins that survive the fermentation and filtering process. And the vitamin value of the yeast is conserved in the hundreds of unfiltered beers that are on the market -- both on tap and in bottles.
http://www.askmen.com/sports/foodcourt/45_eating_well.html

Wine also has flaonoids and nonflavonoids that are antioxidents that are good for the heart and immune system. Read the link from the mayo clinic for all sorts of info on wine.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/red-wine/HB00089

But...the key is only to drink in moderation...excessive alcohol consumption ups your risk for all sorts of disease and negative consequences. So enjoy a drink or two and toast to your health...just remember to practice moderation.

No it is not bad per se for your health. For a man that is considered light drinking for a woman moderate drinking. For a man it does have some benefits except the calories. For women 1-3 glasses a week is better because they don't process alchohol as well as men and there is some data that for moderate to heavy drinking a slightly higher risk of cancer. Also, if you don't crave it, and have to have it then you are ok as long as you can stop at one drink. If you start getting cravings or can't stop then you become an alcoholic. Those are the pros and cons as I see them. I don't see anything wrong with it at this stage.