Aa
A
A
A
Close
General Health Community
8.85k Members

Orange Bowel Leading 2 Pancreatitis

Does having orange oily-like bowel movement mean that your amylase and lipase is up? I was diagnosed with Pancreatitis 2 years ago and had 2 be hospitalized for a month beacuse of my Diabetes being too high and amylase & lipase being over 1000 (it was 1500). So I was wondering if I need 2 be re-hospitalized 2 see if it's up because I'm very scared if I don't something about this soon.

This discussion is related to another mysterious orange oily substance with bowel movement.
2 Responses
480448 tn?1426952138
No, that isn't necessarily a symptom.  Being a nurse, and actually having Pancreatitis myself last year (due to my gallbladder)...I know that it is usually VERY painful.  Are you having pain?  If so, does the pain worsen significantly after you eat?

The best thing you can do is contact your doc and have the appropriate diagnostic studies done.

Pancreatitis needs treatment, as you know, so it is best to find out for sure.

Best of luck to you.
Good morning! I think I may have the answer to your question.

I had this same problem after breakfast this morning and was weirded out. No one else in the family was having it, so I was thinking I had some kind of organ failure or something! Yikes.

I kept googling, though, and found that there is a fish called escolar that causes this phenomenon. It is often sold under the wrong label (orange roughy, cod, sea bass, white tuna), so you may not know you have eaten it. This fish cannot process certain esters, so it stores large quantities and human consumers excrete them. I don't know why the rest of my family has had no problem...maybe they just don't notice their BMs. Also, I ate more of the fish than they did.

I read, too, that Olestra (artificial fat found in low fat foods such as Pringles and other chips) can cause the same symptoms. Cashews can cause it in susceptible people.

Hooray! No pancreatitis!!

Have an Answer?
Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1518219421
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482853437
AL
80052 tn?1550346932
way off the beaten track!, BC
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.