Aa
A
A
A
Close
General Health Community
8.85k Members

Overeating, nausea for hours and dry heaves

This is something i have been dealing with on and off for years.  For a good year it was gone.  

Basically i have IBS.  Sometimes i will not go #2 for 3-4 days.  And if i dont go and i over eat, i will get really sick

basically, i'll over eat then feel nausea for hours and hours, when i finally do have the urge to throw up, its dry heaving hours later.

This landed me in the hospital once with the same symptoms and xrays basically confirmed i was packed from stem to stern.  

Lately if i over ate, i would drink a glass of prune juice and 30 min later work out.  Then it would kick in and i would feel fine and have a bowel movement the next day.  But if i eat too late or take the juice too late, i still feel sick because the juice will just add on it.

My primary care and his intern discussed IBS as a cause.  I dont have any pain or bleeding.  I am really getting sick of this feeling and wish i could control it.

anyone else have this?  any way to control it?
123 Responses
1415174 tn?1453246703
I highly recommend changing your diet. Try reading the  Starch Solution by Dr. McDougall.  Or you can go t his website at drmcdougall.com and it has a lot of information. It is basically a whole plant based diet with no added oils. No dairy, no meat. So it is an oil free vegan diet. You will understand if you read the book and /or his website. Also the DVD Forks Over Knives is interesting. My husband and I have switched to this lifestyle and actually prefer it now because we feel better. I think you would really benefit from it and you are not hungry. It moves food along the intestines faster because plants and whole grains are digested in  a day while red meat takes 3 days for example. We lowered our cholesterol, Blood pressure and it will reverse type II diabetes IBS,, among other things.It also lowers several types of cancers. It is worth a try. If not try metamucil every day.
Thanks. I just started the Metamucil cvs knock off lol. How many times a day?
4851940 tn?1515698193
Sorry to be blunt, but you seem eating so much knowing full well how it will make you feel.

The simple solution (which I understand can be quite hard) is to eat small amounts often, rather than have 3 huge meals a day.

Because your body seems not digest foods very well that causes you to get blocked up, has anyone ever talked to you about gastroparesis.  What that is, is the small intestines move very slowly or sometimes stop altogether.

I have pasted the link below which explains in full detail about the condition and how to help yourself.  What it does say is, like I mentioned above, is to eat small meals with healthy snacks I between.  Do not lie down for 2 hours after having eaten anything; this will help to move the food down from your stomach and into the small intestines.

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/gastroparesis/#1

IBS can happen for many reasons, one of which is stress and anxiety, so relaxation techniques may help.

Keep a written log of everything that passes our lips so that you can keep a record of your food intake.  Jot down if you feel unwell to find the culprit food or drink so that you can avoid that in the future.

You can do it because you did say that for a year you had been good.
Depression and stress can made us comfort eat.  If your overeating is associated with that, have a chat with your doctor to help you.  If you do not like to take medication, ask to be referred to a CBT councillor and/or a dietician to help you work out a food plan.

Best wishes.
Thanks for the tips.mmos there an option to make a movement happen quickly without Ticking a laxative?
1415174 tn?1453246703
I take it once a day. It helps regulate your water in general. If you have too much and have diarrhea it helps with that, if you have too little and are constipated it helps with that. I have an 8 once glass of water with a heaping teaspoon of it every morning. I eat the Dr. McDougall diet because it is high fiber (whole grains) lots of fruit and vegetables and it seems to keep things flowing better. The diet does state it is better to eat 6 small meals a day. I don't but I snack instead (with a piece of fruit , or later a small amount of nuts (not the salty type the natural type) etc. I think you would do well to read about this and try the 10 day start diet he had on his website. I can't stand milk products any more and I used to eat them all my life. You palate changes as does your normal intestinal bacteria. It is interesting how the body gets used to things. I pay attention to cravings. Anyway, small starts are good. Metamucil, is a small start. I read that milk products actually constipate you. But that is not your whole problem.
mkh9
Ended up in the er last night. Turns out I was really backed up. Last night around nine I tried a fleet. Little result. Probably messed it up. This morning I took lactulose gel and an hour later too 2 ducolace.  That cleaned me out.  The er doctor prescribed those two including zofran if needed and colace.

I know I took the laxatives close together with the fleet, so is it a smart idea to wait to take the colace until tomorrow, 24 hours after all this happened ?
Have an Answer?
Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1518219421
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482853437
AL
80052 tn?1550346932
way off the beaten track!, BC
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.