General Health Community

Phlebitis and Vein Disappearing

Last July I was passing a Kidney Stone and the doctors put an IV in my right arm at the base of the bicep. About 3-4 inches of the vein got swollen and hard for 2 or 3 months, and I was told I had Phlebitis. Now it has been 8 months, and that vein has completely disappeared on my bicep, when it used to be a very pronounced vein. If I press on my arm where the vein is, it's like it is in there, but about the size of a needle, and very hard. I am wondering if my vein will ever recover and turn back to normal.

There is a big missing piece to this story. Certain antibiotics are corrosive and may destroy a vein if the concentration is too high or they are run in at too fast a rate. This appears to be what happened with your medial entecubital. A simple IV with D5W or saline can do no harm. Get a copy of the nurses records.

You have a problem where the hospital staff is treating you like a mushroom. Keeping you in the dark and feeding you you-know-what.