General Health Community

Reading Glasses

I am 44 years old and recently had cataract surgery in my right eye.  The lense is a monofocal and set for distance. In my left eye I have a +2.5 contact lense that I wear that helps me see for both distance and close up. Without the contact in my left eye my vision is best about 15 inches out.  I spend a lot of time on the computer and reading for work purposes and would love to be able to wear reading glasses so I don't have just one eye reading all the time.  I asked my surgeon about getting reading glasses and he advised that I would probably not be happy with them due to the differences between the two eyes. His nurse suggested I buy some glasses at the dollar store and pop out one of the lenses to see how my vision was. She was correct. They gave me a sense of double vision. Why is that?  Any alternative suggestions for me?
In your case, I think you should have your glasses special ordered.  Is it possible to have a weak prescription placed on the left side and the other prescription glass placed on the right side?  I can't see how reading glasses out of the dollar store would be of ANY help in your case.  I would reconsult your Ophthalmologist who did the surgery OR get another opinion about this.  

You should also post in the expert EYE CARE Forum.