Aa
A
A
A
Close
General Health Community
8.93k Members

Reading Glasses

I am 44 years old and recently had cataract surgery in my right eye.  The lense is a monofocal and set for distance. In my left eye I have a +2.5 contact lense that I wear that helps me see for both distance and close up. Without the contact in my left eye my vision is best about 15 inches out.  I spend a lot of time on the computer and reading for work purposes and would love to be able to wear reading glasses so I don't have just one eye reading all the time.  I asked my surgeon about getting reading glasses and he advised that I would probably not be happy with them due to the differences between the two eyes. His nurse suggested I buy some glasses at the dollar store and pop out one of the lenses to see how my vision was. She was correct. They gave me a sense of double vision. Why is that?  Any alternative suggestions for me?
1 Responses
In your case, I think you should have your glasses special ordered.  Is it possible to have a weak prescription placed on the left side and the other prescription glass placed on the right side?  I can't see how reading glasses out of the dollar store would be of ANY help in your case.  I would reconsult your Ophthalmologist who did the surgery OR get another opinion about this.  

You should also post in the expert EYE CARE Forum.  
Have an Answer?
Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1518219421
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482853437
AL
80052 tn?1550346932
way off the beaten track!, BC
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.