Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
323985 tn?1194534997

What now?!?

I've developed flu like symptoms (head and chest congestion, some hearing loss in one ear, unable to taste... well, anything, occassional sweats regardless of inside home temp). I have had some 'pain' in my chest over the past week (has happened 6 or 7 times, lasts a few seconds). Also, I have noticed 'pea' sized, white blisters on the back of my tongue. Not sure whether all of these are related or are random. History - 38 (eek) y/o male, 2 pack a day methol cig smoker, Gastric Bypass (full cut) 3-03 (lost 187lbs. in 12 mos. - have gained 50+ back), Inguinal Hernia repair (surgeon said bowel was obstructed in 3 places (7-08). Depression (bi polar - say my "armchair nurse" friends) (untreated), and a major Ultram addiction (I take 30-35  50mg each day or 1500-1750 mgs a day) (and they say its not addicting - right!). Have also had issues with other opiates a few years ago, but nothing I presently require to function. The two latter have been around since the Gastric Bypass.  I know I am a pathetic mess but my Family Doctor is turning out to be a "Ninny" (I've been with this particular company for 6 years & 7 of their doctors). I despise going to hospitals. Any suggestions besides taking me out behind the shed and shooting me?!??! (hey, that may be an option! oops, depression talking). Thanks in advance and after the fact.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Go to the gastric section and read my comments to others.  Hope it helps!
Helpful - 0
1461073 tn?1308677548
Hello, it sounds like you are in a mess.  The upper respiratory, congestion stuff is lingering and keeps reoccurring this year, just when you think you're getting better here it comes back.  It took me 4 months to get rid of the crap,  there are some bad boy infections going around.  The chest pain is most likely pleurisy around the lungs-where the infection is moving to the lower respiratory tract, or from coughing.  Home remedies of Mucinex, Claritin, Cough Syrup, Vit C., and drinking plenty of fluids is the best treatment for this.

My main concern is the blisters at the back of the tongue because you may very well have strep throat and only antibiotic treatment from the doctor will get rid of this.  Try gargling with some diluted Listerine, or warm salt water to see if that helps get rid of them.  If it doesn't help, or your chest congestion worsens you really need to see your doctor.  I Hope This Helps!  Good Luck and Get Well Soon.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the General Health Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
80052 tn?1550343332
way off the beaten track!, BC
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.