General Health Community

What symptoms did you experience with your brown recluse spider bite?

Brown recluse spider bites often go unnoticed initially because they are usually painless bites. Occasionally, some minor burning that feels like a bee sting is noticed at the time of the bite and a small white blister develops at the site of the bite. Symptoms usually develop two to eight hours after a bite. Keep in mind that most bites cause little tissue destruction.Victims may experience these symptoms:severe pain at bite site after about four hours,severe itching,nausea,vomiting,fever, andmyalgias (muscle pain).Initially the bite site is mildly red and upon close inspection may reveal fang marks. Most commonly, the bite site will become firm and heal with little scaring over the next few days or weeks. Occasionally, the local reaction will be more severe with erythema and blistering, sometimes leading to a blue discoloration, and ultimately leading to a necrotic lesion and scarring. Signs that may be present include:blistering (common),necrosis (death) of skin and subcutaneous fat (less common), andsevere destructive necrotic lesions with deep wide borders (rare).
I have a brown recluse spider bite on my left breast which looks like brown in the middle and red on the outside.  I also have one on the back of my head which is way looking worse according to my ex-husband who says that it is way big and real nasty looking and swollen.
I have been bitten twice by brown recluse spiders here in Texas. Neither time did I notice the bite as anything usual until tissue necrosis set in.  It could have been a mosquito or ant bite for the first few hours Ð I never had any significant pain.  The first time was on my arm, and I swelled up in my face to the point my left eye swelled closed.  The swelling was more on the same side of the bite.  I was treated at the emergency room for an allergic reaction with a Benadryl injection. The swelling and ill feeling cleared up.   Later, I got the classic black sore ringed by red.  It never hurt even though multiple layers of skin dried up, decayed, and fell off.  I kept it covered and doused with antibiotic ointment.  I could easily see the layer of fat underneath the skin when it was at its deepest.  It took a while to heal, but left no scar.  My skin loss area was never bigger than a 50-cent piece.   The next time I got bit was on my nose.  My reaction was about the same, but the skin loss was only the size of a nickel.  My doctor said I would need a skin graft, but my nose healed with only a minor divot that I don't think is very noticeable. It healed much faster on my nose than it did on my arm.  So, in my case the bites were not so bad.
I didn't realize that I had been bitten by a spider until my calf started itching. When I looked down I saw a red circle with a hard inner circle with raised white spots in the shape of a C. It was Easter Sunday and I couldn't get to my doctor.  I didn't think it was serious but it was starting to hurt and the red was spreading. When I did get in to my doctor she told me that it was a brown recluse spider bite. I was given two shots of a strong antibiotic that day and two the next.  I am also on oral antibiotics. It's the weekend again but I will definitely run to the Emergency Room if it gets any worse! So far I am holding my own. My advice is DON'T WAIT to get help.
My niece was bitten 18 mos. ago on her leg but no doctors would listen when she stated it was spider bite. It took them four weeks to realize how bad she was and treated her for BRS bite. She went through the wound care treatments every day to debride the area. She was 28 and in a nursing home, the skin, fat and muscle of her legs deteriorated. She couldn't walk and just this Easter she finally came home with routine maintenance to be done doctor visits. I just got a call that she had a stroke (hemorrhage in her brain) which has also caused her to have serious heart attack. I wonder if this is some of side effects of BRS or of meds she's on but I pray for her to be okay someday.
One morning I noticed a small itchy "pimple" and thought nothing of it. I was out of town and the next morning it had turned pea-sized and black. The next day I was to return back to Houston and planned to see a dermatologist. The morning of my flight I could hardly walk and my whole ankle was purple and swollen. In Houston I went to the ER and was admitted for incision and debridement. I next had a second surgery to remove old surgical hardware, more debridement and bone scrapings. I had plastic surgery to fill the golf ball sized hole and was put on 8 weeks of intravenous antibiotics. Seven months later the wound is well on its way to healing. This was a living nightmare and the worst pain I have ever felt.
I had a recluse bite 35 years ago on my right arm. I had to have treatment for the wounded area where the tissue came off, about the size of a dollar bill.  I have since realized how lucky I was, it could have been worse.
I got bitten Saturday on a nature walk with my children. On Sunday and Monday I was nauseated and in severe pain. It is on my right buttock and the pain is running from my lower back all the way down my hip and thigh.
I'm surprised to read that the brown recluse is not prevalent in Southern California as they seem to have proliferated in the Inland Empire over the last few years. I am suffering from a recluse bite currently and having read about them was still caught off guard by the extreme pain at the site that has been continuous. I was trimming a bush in a dark corner when 4-5 spiders went scurrying, thinking them to be common garden spiders I kept working and at one point pressed against it to cut a higher branch. The bite was immediate and quickly painful ...I thought I had been stung! I knew to take Benadryl but was afraid of getting 'too sleepy' as I had a lot of work to do. By the next day the pain was so intense I knew I was in trouble and a hole the size of a pea had opened on my chest. The surrounding flesh was hard like a boil and deep red. I went to the doctor who put me on antibiotics I had covered the area with antibiotic cream, but kept it breathable. The constant dressing changes and antibiotics seemed to arrest progression. This has been one of the most painful experiences of my life. The site continues to shrink, weeping and actually losing thick pus-like material that I shower off or carefully dab with a clean antibiotic wipe. I feel fortunate that it is doing so well, hearing other accounts and seeing photos of how bad it can get. My advice is to get to a doctor sooner when it doesn't feel right and you suspect something is out of the ordinary.
A gradually building itch which eventually grew annoying enough to prompt a look. Two fang marks in a hard white circle surrounded by redness. Then I was knocked into a silly delirious state and having hallucinations which I believed to be real. The next morning I was still silly and didn't even think to look at my foot, just went to work. Around 10 am. I got some rock salt and tried pouring water over salt on the bite. I soon realized the skin on top of my foot was without feeling and dead. From there on it was textbook. Necrosis, infection, overwhelmed lymph and immune system, fevers, weight loss. I had to go to doctor and have the top of my foot skinned and go through wound care.
While I am still not sure if it is a Brown Recluse Spider bite, all seems to point in that direction.  I did not have itching or pain but have the lesion that has been described.  I had dizziness and then some real chest discomfort that progressively got worse.    After my sis doing some reading she advised that I see a doc for antiobiotics, as is the treatment, right away because it can cause a heart attack.  I already have heart difficulties so just has a multitude of tests run for it. All came out perfect.  He sent me to the family doctor since he does not treat or study bug bites.
Fever in knee and feels like fluid and a spot in middle witha head
I always manage to get bit before bed so I cant really say when the symptoms started but this time and the time before, I woke with severe flu like symptoms. Fatique, muscle pain and weak ness plus nausea and mild vomiting. I had no redness or swelling on the bite sites only minor pain when touched. The body symptoms usually last 36 hours for me then they're done.
It is the worse bite I have ever had. I never felt any pain, initially. The next morning when I woke up, a ulceration, similiar in looks to a boil, was present. I could see, two holes in the ulceration. I started running a slight fever, and felt like I had a mild flu bug. Was very tired, and achy. Two days after, a pink spreading ring developed about 3 1/2 to 4 inches outward from the ulceration, which now showed a puss white top.  I should of went at this point to the hospital Emergency room, or my Doctor.  However, there is many nurses in my family. I kept ice on it for 20 minutes, then off 20 min. I also had on hand a antibiotic. It was a Z-pak 500 mg. I started taking that, and the bite is now receding in the pinkish ring, but the ulceration has broke on its own, and is not as red. If not better with-in next day, I will go to hospital.  The bite ulceration itself, was painless, until it popped open on its own. NEVER break the ulcerationyourself! Keep it clean by washing with antibacterial soap, and I used triple antibiotic cream on it. Watch for red streaks ( as a red line ) as this is blood poisoning, and you need to seek medical treatment immediately !
I was bitten by a brown recluse spider one morning when I slipped my arm down into my coat sleeve.  The bite felt like a prick of a small needle.  I went on to work and during the day, the bite was turning red and itching so after an eight hour work day, I stopped at the doctor's office to see what I should do for it.  I was given a shot to counteract the venom but the next morning, I woke up and my face was swollen so I didn't know if it was the bite or the shot that did that.  The bite spot got larger and the skin around the red circle began to turn a bluish color.  I went back to doctor and got antibiotics and still the bite was not getting better.  The spot began to rot out and I went back to the doctor and was instructed to wash the hole with soap and scrub it out with a washrag.  After that, I was to pour peroxide in the hole and let it boil it out and then rinse with water.  The peroxide really burns when it hits raw flesh.  The doctor also said to leave the wound open to the air and not put anything on the hole. After I started using it the wound got better and sealed off.  I have a scar but with the scar is kind of puckered up and is not as big as it was when the hole was in my arm.  I would not want to see anyone go through the pain of a bite.  Sometimes it felt like it was throbbing pain and I also felt numbness some of the time.  The best thing for a brown recluse bite is to get to a doctor as soon as possible when you get bit.  The doctor told me that if I had come within the first 4 to 6 hours, he could have gave me some shots and stopped the venom from spreading and causing as large a hole as it did.
I was bitten by a brown recluse about a year ago, and when it bit me I was in my living room. It stung really badly, but I just ignored it. The next day it was swollen and looked like a pimple that needed to be popped. It hurt but I don't think my bite was very severe. My mother is a doctor and she told me to put this medicine on it, because she thought it was a boil. It got worse and I ended up going to the doctor because I literally had a hole the size of a dime on my waist. It hurt really badly, but it was nothing I couldn't handle. I did not have insurance at the time so the doctor couldn't test the infection to see exactly what it was. But between him and my mother they both said recluse bite. It took weeks to heal, and I have a scar a half inch on my belly. Yes I was given antibiotics and pain medicine throughout this experience.
I GOT BITE ON MY RIGHT FINGER SOME 8 YEARS AGO STILL HAVE PAIN IN IT I CANNT BUMP IT ON ANY THING CAUSE THAT WOULD HEART I CANNT MAKE A FIST SOME DAYS I CAN STAND THE PAIN AND SOME DAYS I CANNT IT SEEMS LIKE I HAVE SOME NERVE DAMAGE IN THAT FINGER . ANYONE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM ?
I was bitten 2 days ago on my calf while working in my garden in New Jersey.  Initially I was unaware of being bitten.  It wasn't until I returned inside to take a shower that I noticed a rapidly swelling red area on the inside of my calf.  I initially thought I might have Lyme's disease.  That was  until I got out of the shower.  My skin started to slough off in the area of the bite while toweling myself dry.  In a matter of 30 minutes I had an ulceration the size of dime.  Today I still have some inflammation about the size of my palm and a red ringed black ulceration the size of a nickel.  However, it is relatively pain free and seems to be healing nicely.
I was bitten and thought it was a boil, but five days later ended in hospital had to have surgery to cut a hole out of my leg. I am now on five antibiotics including an IV at home. This is a very nasty bit and I have a long recovery with possible skin graph needed. Watch where you sit and what you touch. The spider was on my golf cart seat and I sat on it. BEWARE!
I was bitten by a brown recluse spider. It was in the bed sheets. I was ill throughout the night and went to the ER early the next morning. I was admitted later that day and on Monday afternoon, the wound care doctor officially confirmed a brown recluse bite. I spent 12 days in the hospital. I developed toxic shock syndrome and renal failure, having to receive blood transfusions. I developed fluid around my lungs which caused labored breathing. My wound care doctor informed me that about 1% of people bitten by the Brown Recluse have the reaction that I had. I almost did not survive the bite. I was bitten under my left shoulder blade. A plastic surgeon closed the wound because it would not heal after 3 months. Two weeks after he removed the staples, the wound opened again.  The wound finally healed after 6 months, leaving a deep, sunken in scar which is tender.
The morning after the bite I had a lesion about the size of a quarter(red, itchy, blistery, pain in center of bite). Two days post-bite the lesion was approximately 3" in lengtha, now extremely blistered; I experienced fever, chills, headache, joint pain, nausea and diahrrea.  I work for a group of dermatologists outside of Boston, MA and on Thursday morning (I was bitten Monday night) I saw one of the doctors in my office.  She diagnosed it as a spider bite, would have preferred to lance it but, didn't because I am diabetic and it was very infected at this point. I was placed on Keflex, 500 mg. three times daily for 10 days and Clobetasol ointment (an anti-inflammatory steroid due to the redness around the area).  I am scheduled to have foot surgery on my left foot on 9-23-11; the bite was on my right foot at the top of my ankle.  My surgery is now up-in-the-air as I have to have the bite area evaluated next Wednesday (9-21-11) to see if the surgery can go ahead.  I am concerned with contracting Staph or MRSA in the OR.  This has been a very painful experience.  It was VERY PAINFUL to walk for approximately four days.  I have never been bitten before by a spider to my knowledge and I am constantly in my gardens.  At this point I'm hoping to heal in the next eight days so that I can have the surgery to my foot that I have been planning for the past 6 months.   I wish we could make the public more aware of this type of spider bite because I feel like I have a "flesh-eating disease" at this point.  That was how I described it to my surgeon the day after the bite.  She had diagnosed it as an "insect bite", told me "to apply warm compresses and use a hydrocortisone cream" on the lesion.  Little did I know it would turn into such a full-fledged infection in another day.  One of the worst experiences in my life!  Also, I believe that it was a toxic, systemic reaction to a spider bite.  Hope others NEVER have to endure such an experience as this.  We need to educate everyone regarding these spiders.  More education, more knowledge, and to better learn how to prevent these creatures from biting us and learning how to deal with a bite if it does occur.
i've been bitten 3 times this year by a brown recluse when i notice the bite now i know what it is so after a couple of days it swells with pulse and poison and i squeeze until it burst. Now that's alot of pain bring tears to a grown man. i do it until all the poison is out for about 2 days and keep it clean. Takes about 7 days in all to heal
I was bit on the middle finger of my left hand; I didn't notice it at first. But the following morning it started to itch and by the end of the day the pain was extreme. Went to hospital that night and got out two weeks later. Still have finger after four surgeries, hope I keep it. What a nasty bite. If it happens to you get to the hospital as soon as you can!
Years ago, after extensive research, I learned that a leprosy drug, Dapsone, was effective in use for Brown Recluse spider bites.  It took much persuasion to convince the doctors to use it on my ex-husband's leg which was rotting away before my very eyes.  Antibiotics do not work. Dapsone halted the disintegration of the tissue and saved his leg.  There was subsequent surgery to "clean out" the affected area, but all ended well.  Doctors must be educated.
Bitten on my foot in 2005, what i intially thought as something that would go away became painful, swollen and filled with puss. I eventually visited the ER some days later and was in surgery within 1 hours. In the 7 years since my bite i've experienced reaccuring symptoms during winter months, swelling, skin loss and limited time on my feet. Please, if you know of someone who may have experienced the same and has found a mircle cure contact DERMOT VARDIMAN @ 817-688-6438 OR 817-744-0441