General Health Community

diabetes insipidus (constant thirt/urination)

I do not have a thyroid. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced diabetes insipidus? The reason for the test is because I have been extremely thirsty and urinating almost every 1.5 hours a day. I received a copy of the test results. They tested my ADH level (arginine vasopressin) The results are L<1.0 Range:1.0-13.3 

They say there are different types of diabetes insipidus, basically that the kidneys are not doing what they are supposed to do or a pituitary issue. 

Has anyone experienced this or have any advice? Also, my thyroid levels are actually very good and I feel they are where they need to be. (Taking 1 grain Naturethroid and 50 mcg levothyroxine everyday) 

I haven't heard back from the doctor since they were just finalized yesterday. 

From looking this up, I may need further testing to rule out exactly what is going on? 

-Osmolality, elecrolytes, water deprivation test,  MRI to show pituitary? 
I have a friend who has Diabetes Insipidus.  She has a great thirst and urinates frequently also.  She doesn't sweat, which is causing her a problem.  She has to drink water more often than other people.  The doctors have not given her anything to help.  I am sorry that I don't have any more information on this disease.  -  I am glad that your thyroid levels are good.
Diabetes Insipidus is a rare condition that is caused through injury or from an infection.

It is caused by problems with the antidiuretic hormone (vasopressin) that helps to regulate the amount of liquid in the body.  The hormone is made by the hypothamalums which is in the pituitary gland.

In diabetes insipidus, there is either not enough hormome being produced, or there is enough hormone but the kidneys fail to respond.

Yes you are quite right that you will need further testing, to see if the condition is due to kidney problems or a problem with the hypothalamus not producting enough of the hormone.

My advice is when you feel thirsty, keep drinking water, so that you do not become dehydrated.  

Your doctor may decide to prescribe a medication called Desmopressin that can be taken as a nasal spray or in tablet form depending on the severity of your condition.

Best wishes.
Cutting to the chase, excessive urination is a hallmark of diabetes. The word insipidus comes from a Greek word for fountain. The general reason is a failure of insulin producing cells in a place physicians call the Islets of Langerhans. The test to be performed nowadays is called an hba1c. It is simple and inexpensive and provides a number that is based upon the affinity of the red blood cells for glucose. In older times a fasting glucose tolerance test was advised, or what is known as an insulin clamp procedure. Often the urine has a fruity smell due to the presence of what are called ketone bodies. A combination of excessive urination plus fruity odor is also a hallmark of diabetes. It would pay to obtain a glucose meter and learn how to use it. There are reasons other than diabetes for excessive urination, to include endochrine dysfunction or kidney disorders. A consult with a specialist called an endochronologist would be appropriate. If it turns out to be diabetes related the usual drill is to prescribe a medication called metformin, and to get in touch with a nurse practicioner or diabetic center that will assist in a program of diet and glucose monitoring. Keeping properly hydrated is important for a number or reasons, including keeping the fluid-to-solid ratio in the bloodstream to reduce the probability of stroke. She should drink adequate electrolytes and take 1000 mg of omega-3 fish oil supplements every day.
Diabetes Insipidus is not the normal type of diabetes that can be controlled by food or by medications like metformin or insulin.  Diabetes Type 1 and Type 2 are those that are controlled by food and or medications like metformin or insulin.

Diabetes Insipidus is a rare condition and nothing to do with the the pancreas and production of insulin or lack of it.  A blood sugar monitor will be of no use to someone with Diabetes Insipidus.

In other types of diabetes, thirst and frequent urination is a sign that the body has too much sugar.  This is not the case with Diabetes Insipidus.  The only medication that may be prescribed if the condition is not mild is Desmopressin that can be taken as a nasal spray or in tablet form.
With Diabetes Insipidus there is no need to follow any specific diet as this will not help.  But it is important to have an adequate and balanced intake of salt and water.  I have read that a low protein and low salt diet can help to lessen  urine output, but I should imagine this will depend whether this is to do with a kidney problem or whether it is to do with they hypothalamus.  Your doctor will be able to advise you.

In the event of any vomitting or diarrhea or exertion and in hot weather because of sweating, make sure you drink enough so as to avoid dehydration.

Hopefully, your doctor will get back to you soon to discuss what the next course of action should be and give you further advice.

Best wishes.