General Health Community

fibromyalgia,osteoporosis and abdominal pain,heartburn

i have fibro and osteo and i cannot take any meds as i also schizophrenic and olanzapine poses a prob with regards to tremadol and gabapentin,i tried lyrica but doesn't help,i am slowly getting worse with the pain and my fingers are swelling to the point they look like sausages,i have a hiatus hernia and it causes heartburn but i can take ibroprufen for the pain even tho it does enhance the heartburn,i have and still am considering asking my G.P for a steroid injection ,not sure if it will help,my feet hurt continuously my hands, my muscles ,my wrists, jaw an teeth(i could pull them out myself the pain so bad)i get pins an needles from my toes half way up my calves but the cramps stopped a while ago (about 4 mths)i have however started with cramp in my fingers and my lower arms from the fingers to just below the elbow,and pins and needles,i have low blood pressure but unusual for me the last time it was taken it was 145 over 76,it has always been around 110 over 60 for many many yrs,i am 50yrs old and started the menopause at 36,i still suffer with hot sweats,my tummy has always given me problems but a lot worse when i eat or drink,the pain awful
You do not mention if you are on any medication for your hiatus hernia.  If not, then you should ask your doctor to prescribe the appropriate medication for you.  They usually start you off on Omeprazole, but if you find that this does not work, there are other prescription remedies that may work better for you.  

If you are taking Ibuprofen, you should also be taking a stomach remedy to protect your stomach (whatever your doctor has prescribed) or take the medication after you have eaten.  Ibuprofen can cause stomach problems.

Not everyone can take Ibuprofen and the swelling may be due to inflammation due to the arthritis or from oedema.  Ibuprofen can cause oedema (water retention).

Although you do have osteoporosis (thinning of the bones) I presume you are getting treatment for this, if not, then you should be.  Calcium and Vitamin D is usually prescribed by the doctor.  

Ask your doctor to refer you to the TriageTeam  and for you to be referred to Pain Management.  Although there is no cure for a lot of arthritic problems, they do run short classes (hopefully in your area too) to teach you about exercise, diet and lots of other useful techniques to help cope with your pain and teach you about pacing yourself during the day and not doing too much so as not t aggravate your condition.  You may also find gentle forms of exercise and relaxation techniques beneficial with regard to your fibromyalgia symptoms.

You may also find that cutting out sugary and processed foods and sticking to a healthy and well balanced diet with fresh fruit and vegetables beneficial too.  Sometimes inflammation can be triggered by what we eat and drink.  Cutting out all the junk food will also help with regard to your menopausal symptoms.  You may find Evening Primrose Oil helpful with regard to that too.  Ensure that you drink plenty of water throughout the day, taking little sips often is best if you have a problem with fluids.  2 litres (4 pints) per day is usually  recommended, more if you sweat a lot.

For your cramp problems, you may be lacking in magnesium.  You can get supplements.  You can also purchase a big box of Epsom salts from the web and add a big cupful into your bathwater with some baby oil.  Epsom salts are a good way to help with helping to relax the muscles and lessen aches and pains.  Epsom salts also contain magnesium and by bathing with the salts in your bath, the magnesium is absorbed through your skin.  The reason I suggest putting some baby oil into the bath water is that the Epsom salts can be very drying to the skin.  Bathing in Epsom salts also neutralises the skin pH which is pretty good if you suffer from skin problems.

Although pins and needles can be due to arthritic changes and nerves being aggravated or pinched, do mention this to your doctor so that he can arrange for you to get imaging tests done.  Nerve conduction tests would indicate if there is any impingement on the nerves.  A blood test to check your Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, levels and also glucose levels would be useful.  Sometimes pins and needles can be felt because of those vitamin deficiencies.  Pins and needles can also be due to nerve damage due to high sugar levels.  The HbA1C test would show your blood sugar levels over a period of 3 months.  

Make an appointment to see your dentist with regard to your painful teeth.

As you experience more tummy pain when you eat and drink, keep a written record of everything that you eat and drink to see if you can find a pattern of the particular food or drink that is making your condition worse.  You will then be able to avoid that food and drink.  You may have an allergy to some of the foods that you are eating (lactose or gluten intolerance for example).

If you have not been seen by a rheumatologist, perhaps you could ask your doctor to refer you to one.

Best wishes.