A
A
A
Close
General Health Community
8.96k Members
591161 tn?1394250145

painful knot after IV

I recently received an IV injection (in late December) and while trying to push through the vein wall, the person handling the syringe appeared to have subcutaneously injected some of the solution before actually entering the vein he was aiming for.  It feels like a sore muscle or the way you feel after drawing blood but it's been almost two months and it's been particularly noticeable the last few days when I stretch out my arm.  Any advice or info would be appreciated.

Thanks
4 Responses
480448 tn?1426948538
What was being injected?  Have you seen a doctor?
1415174 tn?1453243103
If there it was bruised and there is a knot it probably is a hematoma. Sometimes these can take a few months to go away. If it is a hematoma the doctor can remove the knot of blood that gets left by using a syringe and needle and aspirating it out. This will make it heal quicker. However, it should go away on its own. If it isn't improving over time, then I would see a doctor
591161 tn?1394250145
There wasn't an immediate bruise.  In fact, there wasn't anything more than a small sore spot where the needle entered.  The spot only became more noticeable in the last week or so.  Especially when I outstretch my arm.  I am planning on seeing a physician asap to see what it is.  The solution being injected was a generic version of morphine I believe.  A couple sources pointed at the possibility of an abscess but it doesn't bulge out or anything.
1415174 tn?1453243103
If it is an abscess you could a fever but not always, also it would be red or  have pus and swelling can be an indication. But if it is deep inside it maybe a pocket that is infected. It is hard to know that. It could be that the muscle was bruised. Is it more noticeable in that it is getting more red or more painful or what do you see? It is a good idea to double check it with  a doctor. If it is nothing and just internal bruising that will go away at least you will not worry about it.
mkh9
Have an Answer?
Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1590104173
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
80052 tn?1550343332
way off the beaten track!, BC
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.