Aa
A
A
A
Close
General Health Community
8.98k Members

to the man who was concerned about his wife w /5'ths disease:

You were concerned about the duration of your wife's pain symptoms and how it didn't necessarily affect her joints as it did her bones themselves.  I came home from the dentist a few weeks ago on a beautiful, sunny day, walking, and was stuck with an overall feeling of uck.  I came home and laid down to find myself with what I thought was the flu or simple fatigue.  It wasn't long before I was in pain from about my kidney area (front and back) down my leg that turned into pain in both legs that left me in bed and hating life for a good 3 or so days. It wasn't joint pain but seemed in my very bones and an intense, dull ache that was akin to growing pains.  I took ibuprophen and doubled-up on my calcium supplements.   I am grateful to say I feel fine now, but I never got a rash and I don't think I ever got a fever or any cold-like symptoms.  Two of my daughters did get fevers and lethargy, one after the other with my 2-yr-old getting the cheek rash (but only occasionally) and she has been super fussy and miserable for almost 7 days now.  I took her in to our pediatrition on Friday and he saw nothing and since the fever was over after the 3'rd day, he was at a loss.  My friend noticed the rash on the cheeks (that seems sun-related) today and diagnosed it.  What I thought might be interesting to you is this article, which was the first thing I read after a Google search that might give you some answers, but not necessarily optomistic ones.  It very specifically points out that the effects of fifths disease can last "years". It seems like a very legitamate site. Sorry. Ihttp://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_viral/fifth.html#

This discussion is related to Mutated Fifth Disease?.
1 Responses
My Fifth's has now lasted 21 months and had to give up my job after 18 years of full time employment.  Energy level low, pain high.  Many pain releivers, low quality of life.  No end in sight.  Sorry to be so pessimistic, just don't want you to think that your wife should just "get over this".  Can be a very serious illness.
Have an Answer?
Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1590104173
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
80052 tn?1550343332
way off the beaten track!, BC
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.