General Surgery Community
286 Members

Bit through inner bottom lip - big gash now has tissue protruding

3 days ago I bit through my inner bottom lip - it didn't go all the way through but there is bruising on the outside of my lower lip. It was a big gash but i didn't go and get stitches straight away. 12hrs later I went to the clinic and they said they could not stitch the gash up because of tissue (not just a bump on the lip but actual tissue through the gap) protruding through the wound. They said the tissue would shrink within a few days and the lip would heal itself. However 3 days later and the tissue is still the same size and the lip looks healed however with the tissue on the outside. Will this shrink or does it sound like i will need surgery to cut this tissue away and stitch up?