A
A
A
Close
General Surgery Community
337 Members
17073640 tn?1453485354

Help, suffering at hospital, need 2nd opinion on Tunnel Wound surgery

Hi, I have a dear friend named Brittney who has suffered for months with a tunnel wound on her left buttock bear her vagina.  She is a paraplegic so she's in bed or in her chair all the time.  She had to wait weeks for a wound care doctor at a major hospital in Manchester, NH to schedule a surgery and to perform it.  They told her initially they would open up the wound, clean it out, and do plastic surgery with a skin flap after they cleaned it out.  They did the surgery yesterday, and instead of closing it up they have left a huge (softball sized!), grotesque open wound packed with gauze that goes all the way to her bone, roughly the size of a softball in diameter. They have a wound vac in place that is very uncomfortable. She is in extreme pain constantly.

She is not scheduled for plastic surgery for 6 weeks (leaving the open wound for whatever reason) and she is in horrendous pain, as well as very worried of infection.  They have her now on a vancomycin IV and they planned to send her to a skilled nursing care facility today, but she is in such agony they have held off until after the weekend.  She's used to 90 MG of oxycodone pre-surgery due to her previous pain levels, and right now they're only giving her 0.5 ml of Dilaudid every 2 hours.  What can we do to get her better care?  Also, can I send you a picture of the open wound so you can see it?  Please help, my heart is breaking for this girl.
1 Responses
if they didn't close it right away and place a vac that means the wounds is not clean (infected) closing it right now will lead to an abscess and make it even worse. so it has to be open to drain all the pus and receiving antibiotics till its clean so Surgery can be done. i know it is agonizing but thats the right thing to do. pain killers and hygiene are your best bet
Top General Health Answerers
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
80052 tn?1550343332
way off the beaten track!, BC
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.