General Surgery Community
319 Members

Is my exposure to bronchitis a risk for my husband's upcoming surgery?

I just found out my co-worker has bronchitis and a double ear infection. My husband has gall bladder surgery scheduled in 5 days. Is there anything I should be concerned about or any extra precautions I should take?
Hello and welcome to MedHelp's forums.  By now, your husband has had his surgery if all was well before it with his health.  Please update us as to what happened. For general information for our readers, patients about to undergo surgery typically have a pre op exam in which their general health is considered.  They do look for anything like a bacterial infection or virus.

Acute bronchitis is usually secondary to a cold as are ear infections. For that reason, there is a contagious component to it.  It is important for family of those about to have surgery to minimize exposure which means good hand washing protocol and avoiding sick people. This can not always be avoided though. At your husband's presurgery physical, they will look to see if he has any signs of being or getting sick.  

Here is some information on the preop physical: https://www.aafp.org/afp/2000/0715/p387.html

Please let us know if your husband was allowed to have his surgery and how he is doing.