General Surgery Community
332 Members

Pilonidal Sinus Surgery STITCHES LEFT INSIDE

Dear Health Professional,

I had a surgery 3 weeks ago for a pilonidal cyst that has been now removed, however they stitched it and after they removed the stitches, the wound was left open to heal. Apparently, "The doctor gave it a shot", which is what I got from the nurse.

Infection started to occur and I was going to the treatment room daily for a dressing change. I was curious to see what causes the bleeding and after coming daily to the treatment room to observe the wound nobody knew.

I finally made the most embarrasing video and saw that I have 2 parts of stitches that are in the deepest parts of the wound and pus around them.

Who can take these stitches out- the nurse, the surgeon or a regular doctor?

Thanks a lot!