Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Surgical Adhesions?

I am a 33 year old woman and I've had 5 open abdominal surgeries.  The last surgery I had was in Sept. 2008.  Over the past few months I've been having some problems that never really happened before....  first off, I've been having a lot of on-and-off abdominal pain.  I've been having fewer and fewer bowel movements - I think the longest I went without a BM was close to 2 weeks and I was VERY uncomfortable!  I've also had changes in my monthly cycle but I'm not sure if that's related to anything that would be going on in my abdominal area.  A friend of mine mentioned abdominal adhesions as a possible cause to the pain/bowel movement issues so I looked up a little info on it and it seems like a possibility since I've had 5 open surgeries.  What are your thoughts?  Has anyone experienced this after surgery?  What are the treatment options?  Thanks!
4 Responses
One more thing I forgot to ask in my previous post -- where do I go from here?  What kind of doctor should I see about this?  I was going to set up an appt with an obgyn but I'm not sure if that's who I should see...  Thanks again ~
1217648 tn?1266552143
Dear Lovethe sun
In view of previous five surgeries, your symptoms are highly suggestive of Adhesions. CECT scan will be the best investigation for you (contrast enhanced ct scan of abdome). Surgery is only done if adhsions are progressive (it happens in few cases only) and obstruction becomes acute (you are not able to pass gas or stool) because repeat adhsions after surgery is common.
You can consult a gastrosurgeon or a general surgeon
best wishes
DR Tewari (India)
1217648 tn?1266552143
Gynaecogolist can not help you
Good luck
Dr Tewari
Thank you for your insight and suggestions!  They are much appreciated!
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the General Surgery Community

Top General Health Answerers
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
80052 tn?1550343332
way off the beaten track!, BC
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.