General Surgery Community
331 Members

What questions should I ask my anesthesiologist?

I am a professional opera singer, facing an operation for an injury I sustained after an accident. Whilst the operation is essential, I am concerned about the effects of being under a general anaesthetic on my voice. What questions should I ask my doctor?
I've heard about a laryngeal mask as opposed to general intubation, but know very little about it; is this common? I have also heard of singers asking for smaller intubation tubes, and so I'm a little confused as to what approach I should take. I wouldn't want to offend my doctor, after all he/she is the professional, but I can't afford damage to my voice, and to lose work because I can't sing. Any suggestions? Thank you!