Aa
A
A
A
Close
Genetic Disorders Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
912352 tn?1242888802

Depression & Genetics

I have depression/anxiety/schitofrinia/bipolar disorder all runs in my family genes. My mom has it, her mom had it, my grandmother's sisters and brothers have had it...or have it. They are all taking medication. I am scared. I had my first anxiety attack when I was 19. Now, at 23, I have been on over 5 medications to help my anxiety/depression symptoms. I've tried counceling for years. I tried exercise...medication. You name it..I've done it (well I haven't tried any natural remidies). But anyway...I am wondering if I am going to have to live with this for the rest of my life?
Right now I am taking paxil, kolonopin, effexor, and a mood stabalizer. I can't deal with taking all these medications. I just want to be normal...but i'm afraid that maybe this has become my 'normal'? Is it immenint that I am going to loose my mind, and just have to be on medication or hospitalized because of this genetic issue?
1 Responses
886824 tn?1253740254
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Regarding the inheritance of mental illness, it is most likely multifactorial condition, which means it involves a combination of genetic, lifestyle and environmental factors.

Researchers believe that there are probably a number of genes that contribute to the development of mental illness as well as affect a person's response to certain psychiatric medications. For example, genetic variations in over 40 genes have been linked to susceptibility to unipolar depression, bipolar disease and schizophrenia, alone.

We recommend that you speak with your physician/psychiatrist about your concerns as well as the benefits of the medications you are prescribed versus other treatment options. It must be very frustrating and scary to be battling a condition such as mental illness, and we wish you the best.
Popular Resources
An interview with the co-discoverer of one of the biggest breakthroughs in cancer research
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.