Genetic Disorders Forum

Genetics

I was wondering if Larygenal Edema is hereditary????  My father had it years ago, and I am now
getting the same symptons that he did.
If it is hereditary, is there anything that I can do about it?

Thanks,
Candy Taylor
This is a good question.  There is a condition known as hereditary angioedema that runs in families in an autosomal dominant way.  This means that someone with this condition has a 50% chance of passing it on to each child s/he has.    People with this condition can have swelling of the tongue, skin, larynx, uvula and abdominal pain attacks.  There are three different forms of this condition and genetic testing is available on a clinical basis to help with making a diagnosis.   Treatment for acute attacks and preventive treatment is available.  It may help you to meet with a geneticist and a genetic counselor to thoroughly review yours and your father’s medical history to determine if you have this condition.  If so, you could discuss your treatment options with your doctor.  A geneticist can be found through the American College of Medical Genetics and a genetic counselor can be found through the National Society of Genetic Counselors.   Best of luck to you.  
In my opinion, may be that is too fast conclusion, his father had laryngeak edma once years ago and she now getting that or you both have recurrence of the symptoms. Because hereditary angioedema is usually attack since childhood and recurrence of angioedema anywhere including upperairway like larynge that may lead to suffocation and dead if left untreated. But there are many causes of laryngeal edema like voice abuse, infection (the most common cause), allergic to drugs or food. So as the information I have, I cannot guarantee that you have a hereditary angioedema.
Is this help?

http://clinicalgenetics.blogspot.com
I have had this for years. It feels like my throat is contracting, like it is trying to close up my airway, very painful, and I start to gag. It only lasts for a few seconds, but the pain is extreme. As for my father, he was only 39 years old, and it killed him. The doctors in the hospital tried to give him a tracheotomy, but he became cyanotic, and died. This was back in 1972, so I think the resources they had are not as efficient as they are now. But they did what they could. When it first started to happen to him, he was able to talk to my brother and I, but his voice was rough with laryngitis. It was only after a few hours in the hospital that it got worse.
One good thing about all this, is that he was in the Air Force, and I was able to obtain his military records. His autopsy report, doctors and paramedics reports were all included. I'm just confused about some of the medical terms or conditions.
An interview with the co-discoverer of one of the biggest breakthroughs in cancer research
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.