Genetic Disorders Forum

MTHFR QUESTIONS

Could my granddaughters diagnosis of MTHFR come down thru the family due to my fathers rare blood disease of Waldenstromacroglobulanmeia? I don't know what type of mthfr she has. What natural  supplements and vitamins can we use for her?
Waldenstrom macroglobulinemia (WM) is a rare subtype of non-Hodgkin lymphoma. The exact cause of WM is not known. However, researchers believe that genetics may play a role in WM in some cases, because the disease has been seen to run in families. A few genes and genetic regions have been implicated in some familial cases of the disease, but additional genes are also likely to be involved.

MTFHR is separate and is caused by variations in the MTHFR gene. This gene is important in the metabolism of an amino acid called homocysteine. Variants in the gene are inherited.

When a person has two variants, they inherited one variant from their mother and the other variant from their father. When a person has one variant, they inherited the variant from either their mother or their father.

The clinical treatment for women with MTHFR variants who are trying to get pregnant or who are pregnant is not well established and is often debated. The one universally accepted recommendation is to take folic acid supplements (amount to be discussed with her doctor). Depending on a person’s medical and pregnancy history, other treatments may be suggested as well.

We recommend that your granddaughter meet with a genetic counselor who can review her pregnancy and family history. A genetic counselor can be found through the National Society of Genetic Counselors website or through companies like mine, AccessDNA.
Forgot to add that my granddaughter has mis/car. 2 times , twins both times, one set fraternal one set identical.
An interview with the co-discoverer of one of the biggest breakthroughs in cancer research