Aa
A
A
A
Close
Genetic Disorders Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
362936 tn?1218022495

Trisomy 16

Hi.  I just got the test results back from my fetus.  I miscarried for the 2nd and possibly 3rd time.  It shows trisomy 16.  Anyone out there have any stories about having a healthy baby after this?   My husband and I will get blood test done this Friday and begin Genetic Counseling in the next few weeks.  If anyone has any information about your chances of having a healthy baby or if it is not a possibility I would love to hear from you.  I am 33 and my husband is 39.  Amy
1 Responses
264002 tn?1193278955
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I am very sorry for your losses.  Miscarriage can be difficult both emotionally and physically, and I hope the following information is helpful to you.  

As you may know, trisomy 16 means that the pregnancy had three copies of chromosome #16.   Typically we each have 23 pairs of chromosomes.  So, trisomy 16, means having an extra copy of the 16th chromosome.  This is a common chromosomal finding among pregnancies lost in the first trimester.  

At a genetic counseling appointment, the genetic counselor will ask questions about your family health history and will construct and interpret your family tree.  Genetic counselors will also discuss the findings of the tests from this miscarriage and discuss the results of your blood work to review your chances of having a healthy baby.  Most often in couples who have had one pregnancy loss with trisomy 16, it is unusual to have another pregnancy with trisomy 16.    Best of luck to you.  
Popular Resources
An interview with the co-discoverer of one of the biggest breakthroughs in cancer research
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.