Genetics Community
966 Members

Blood types

If both parents have blood type O can baby have blood type A?
Dear Jerrie61,

When both Parents have O blood type, the ONLY blood type the child can have is O.

When a child has A blood type, and the Mother has O, the Father must have either: A or AB.

Here is a Blood type Calculator for your reference (as blood typology is used in courts in Canada to determine Paternity in some cases where Family Law is argued such as Custody, Divorce and Family Support Payments and where paternity is an issue.)  The site I have provided you with is a site that we utilize in my line of work as a Canadian Police Officer.  I personally have over 13 years of policing.

http://www.canadiancrc.com/Paternity_determination_blood_type.aspx

In the first scenario (top calculator) which uses both the parent's known blood types:
When you follow the calculator for the Parents to determine the Child's blood type, you must read the Pink section on the left for the Mother (in which case is O at the bottom), and then the Blue section on the top for the Father (in which case is O at the farthest right side).  The result is the Yellow section where they meet for the child which MUST be O.

In the second scenario (second calculator) which uses the Mother's and Child's known blood type to determine what the Father's MUST be:
Follow the Pink section on the right for the Mother (in which case is O at the bottom), and the Yellow section on the top for the Child (in which case is A at the farthest right), The result for the Father in the blue section where they meet MUST be - A or AB only.

There is no other way for a child to have A blood typing if both parents have O type blood.  And not because one of the grandparents have an A type blood.  It relies strictly on the immediate parents blood.

This site allows you to put in the blood types in question and get results of the possible types either the child can have or what type the second parent must have if one parent's type is known as well as the child's is known.  This calculator is very user friendly.  (The answers are the same as the site above.)
http://www.biology.arizona.edu/human_bio/problem_sets/blood_types/inherited.html

Either way, if both parent's have O type blood, the child MUST have O type as well.

I hope this helps to answer your question.  If you need further assistance, I would suggest ensuring everyone's blood typing by a getting a specific requisition for lab work blood typology, (it must have the request for blood typing) from a doctor.  And then you can be sure of the results.  

To further establish the results and origins of the blood, you may need to contact a genetics counsellor if DNA is then required to prove anything else such as paternity.

In addition to anything I have mentioned, please keep in mind, that while I or others may have extensive knowledge in many areas, you should always seek professional medical advice from your own physician, as it pertains to medical conditions or concerns.
Good luck, and if you have any other questions that I can help you with, please feel free to message me directly.

Sincerely,
Sandi (Dragon1973)
MedHelp Genetics Community Leader;
Children - Special Needs Community Leader;
Down syndrome Community Leader & Ds Group Forum Founder/Moderator
Dear Dragon1973,

Thank you very much for responding to my question.
The information you supplied is very helpful!

Thanks again,
Jerrie61
Jerrie61,

You are most welcome.  If there is anything else I can help you with, please feel free to post or send me a message directly.

Good luck,

Sincerely,
Sandi (Dragon1973)
MedHelp Genetics Community Leader;
me and my husband both are O posetive but my baby A posetive how posible my emai Mashal.***@****
An interview with the co-discoverer of one of the biggest breakthroughs in cancer research