Genetics Community
964 Members

Born with no enamel on teeth

I am interested in finding out if anyone has had the same experiences as me. I was born with no enamel on my teeth. This has went as far back as the 1700s in my family. The first child is always born with no enamel (as meantioned earlier we can trace this back to are Irish roots in the 1700's. We have straight, strong teeth but we have no nerves. I was told as a child that I couldn't do anything until my adult teeth were fully grown which occurs when you around 18 years old. At that time I spend hours and hours in the dentist office capping my teeth. My son was born with this disorder so i guess it just hit home with me because I don't want him to go through all of the issues that I have faced (such as low self esteem and people thinking that you didn't take care of your teeth). Anyways, I want to know if there is a known cause for this? Where did it come from and why is it the first born always is born with no enamel and sometimes the second child, but not always. Any information or experiences would help me greatly.
   Thank you!!

This discussion is related to born without tooth enamel.
I was born with no enamel  and my mom was born without it too my first  cuz was born enamel free  ... im the last one of 3  children and i have been picked on my whole life for it untill i met a dentist that told me about my teeth , he had to look it up for me , he told me it was heretitarie and there is nothing they can do to fix them ... so i asked to cover them up  

ask your dentist about prostetics . it covers them up and makes them stronger  ..  just trying to help ... i know how it feels to have these its ***** no one understands and i hated to have to anserwe everyone  on how why my teeth were clear .... so good luck and take care of yourselfs
i have a 26 yr old brother and im 24 then i have a 21 yr old sister, i was the only one who was born without an enamel i had my baby teeth pulled when i was 3 yrs old and i have two kids my son is 4 he has the same issue as me and has sensitive teeth but my daughters teeth our perfect i wanted to find out if invisilign would work but im not sure bc there sensitive i have to have certain foods without sugar bc it hurts on my teeth can anyone help?
Hello my name is shawna and i was born with no enamel just like my mother and some of my aunts and uncles it runs on my grandpas side i have a daughter thats 2 and she has the same problem she has no enamel on her teethe and they are wearing down already what should i do my mother and i both have dentures since we were both 18 thanks
I was also born with no enamel on my teeth.  I had most of my teeth capped when I was young, then my permenant teeth grew in.  I remember my dentist wanted to paint my teeth.  As an adult, I have a few porcelain fillings, mild gingivitis, and whiten my teeth like everyone else.  You don't have to suffer from being born with no enamel.  I still have the scars from when I had my teeth capped, and will probably never forget the way a spoon tasted (if you had capped teeth, you'll understand), but otherwise it's a far off memory and I grew up like everyone else.  Just take care of your teeth and visit dentists regularly, they'll help you out tons.

If you know a child born without enamel, seek dental advising.  They'll know what to do and give you support on how to manage the situation.  Sometimes life throws us lemons.
Ive went threw this all my life also, and im 11 years old. Its nice to know that other people out their share what we have. My family has been going threw this problem since the early 1900's (that i know of.) Please email me, Im kind of scared to talk to people at school because they dont know what I have and i got really embaressed by a kind in 2nd grade by it, and it worries me. Im wondering if any of you have simular storys. And my teeth are capped also going to childrens hospital soon to replace 7 caps! and get my almost adult teeth in in march! Please email me at ***@****
-Thanks <3
-Thanks <3
An interview with the co-discoverer of one of the biggest breakthroughs in cancer research