Genetics Community
968 Members

Only two heart chambers at 17 weeks

We had our twin scan at 17 weeks and we were told about only two heart chambers and told it was incompatible for life plus an absence of radius bone. On further probing we were told the following :  two chamber heart instead of a normal four chamber heart is incompatible with life and may also be associated occasionally with anomalies in the vertebral column, anal canal, oesaphageal anomalies such as oesophageal atresia, renal anomalies and problems with growth.  The full extent of the anomalies may only be known by 25-26 weeks on a scan or at birth.

Since the scope of the anomalies is not predictable at this stage and since the seriousness of the anomalies which we have currently detected is severe, reduction is the prudent option.  The final decision, of course, has to be taken by you.

They suggest reduction tomorrow and we feel anxious that we do not know enough at all !

Help please and thank you in advance
My goodness...I tried to look this up and I could not find much of anything. It sounds rare, though I am sure there has to be someone on this forum who has some type of information on this.

I would suggest either posting to the Drs on this site for a better answer and/or definately getting a second opinion soon.

I feel for you. I am sorry you have to go through making this tough of a decision in your pregnancy. My prayers are with you and your family.
Go to a university center type medical hospital and get a second opinion asap. i am sorry and God Bless you and your family.
An interview with the co-discoverer of one of the biggest breakthroughs in cancer research
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.