Aa
A
A
A
Close
Genetics Community
964 Members
1257808 tn?1322765815

Possibilities to have children with Sickle cell anemia

I’m carrier to Sickle cell anemia gene and my future wife too.
I need to know the possibilities to have our children Sickle cell anemia and be Sickler or have this trait.
I need any important details that I must keep to my mind related to this issue.
It’s really important subject for discussion between me and my future lovely wife and we need supportive helpful knowledge.
1 Responses
134578 tn?1546634665
Here is a resource that explains things.
A lot depends on exactly what you carry.  Speaking very generally, if you carry sickle cell trait and your wife carries sickle cell trait, your child will have a 50% chance to carry sickle cell trait, a 25% chance to get sickle cell anemia, and a 25% chance to get neither the trait or the illness. But read the following carefully because that is a general statement only and you need to be more specific.

http://www.sicklecellsociety.org/resources/inheritance-of-sickle-cell-anaemia/
2 Comments
Really informative answer. I appreciate it.
If you have access to one, speak to a doctor who understands sickle cell anemia. Good luck.
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
An interview with the co-discoverer of one of the biggest breakthroughs in cancer research
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.