Avatar universal

gender birth defects

What is the name of the disorder when a person is born with both male & female hormones?
2 Responses
1227139 tn?1462334630
Hello there,

As far as I am aware, I haven't heard of a "Genetic" disorder where a person is born with both Male & Female hormones.  All men and women have both Estrogen and Testosterone - the difference being that women have more Estrogen and men have more Testosterone.  There is a disorder called Congenital adrenal hyperplasia which is where the body produces excessive or is deficient in production of either of these hormones.
If you are wondering about being born with both sex organs or problems with sexual organs from birth , these are genetic disorders where the X or Y (23rd chromosome) chromosomes are mutated, added, translocated or missing.  Many genetic disorders are spontaneous and occur randomly.  (Not an inherited condition from either parent)
This site here:  http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/genetics/chromosome.htm  explains chromosomal abnormalities as seen here:
    * Trisomy conditions: Most people have 2 copies of each chromosome, but some people are born with 3 copies, which is called trisomy. Trisomy can occur in chromosomes 1..22 (autosomal trisomy) and also in the sex chromosome (see below). Down syndrome is a trisomy affecting the autosome chromosome 21.
    * Monosomy conditions: When a person has only one of a given chromosome, rather than a pair, this is called monosomy. These conditions are very rare for autosomes (chromosomes 1..22) because body cells without pairs do not seem to survive, but can occur in the sex chromosome (monosomy X is Turner syndrome).
    * Sex chromosome conditions: Typically men are XY and women are XX in the pair for the 23rd chromosome. However, sometimes people are born with only one sex chromosome (monosomy of the sex chromosome), or with three sex chromosomes (trisomy of the sex chromosome).

I am not sure if this helps you, but hopefully it answers some of your concerns.

In addition to anything I have mentioned, please keep in mind, that while I or others may have extensive knowledge in many areas, you should always seek professional medical advice from your own physician, as it pertains to medical conditions or concerns.

Good luck, and if you have any other questions that I can help you with, please feel free to message me directly.

Sandi (Dragon1973)
MedHelp Genetics Community Leader;
Down syndrome Community Leader & Ds Group Forum Founder/Moderator
1121273 tn?1325367975
Sandi answered that very well.

We are all born with both estrogen and testosterone.  Are you wondering what it is called when one is born with organs normally associated with both male and female?

That is called hermaphroditism.  The new word that they are using for it is "intersex."
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Genetics Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
An interview with the co-discoverer of one of the biggest breakthroughs in cancer research
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child