Geriatrics Community
483 Members

Glomerular Filtration Rate

I was to have a cat scan on my left leg and abdomen yesterday but GFR rate of 33 cancelled that and today was rescheduled to have an angioplasty with possible stents with a cat scan later in month.  What does a GFR of 33 mean and is procedure now scheduled the normal follow up after a cancellation of a regular cat scan with contrast?
Hi Bronz,

Welcome to the Senior Health Forum. I am glad that you found us and took the the to post your concern. You wrote this last night and I am assuming that the angioplasty with possible stents is taking place today. Is that correct?

If you check the forum you will see that Joan just asked a similar question about GFR. The two of you might want to touch base.

As I said above I am far from an expert. The GFR has to do with your kidney function and not the heart (angioplasty).

Glomerular filtration rate (GFR) is a test used to check how well the kidneys are working. Specifically, it estimates how much blood passes through the tiny filters in the kidneys, called glomeruli, each minute. It measures how well your kidneys are filtering a waste called creatinine, which is produced by the muscles. When the kidneys aren't working as well as they should, creatinine builds up in the blood. Your physician should have already drawn a Serum Creatinine level. A GFR is not an end all be all test, though it is a great diagnostic tool. There are additional tests that will aid in a correct diagnosis.

According to the National Kidney Foundation, normal GFR results range from 90 - 120 mL/min. Seniors will have lower normal GFR levels, because levels decreases with age.

I don't completely understand your question. Your physician has now scheduled a CT for later this month??? Is that true?  I assume you mean he is now cancelled the "with contrast" CT?  Is that also true?  I am GUESSING that he may have decided not to use the contrast because of your kidney function test results. I think that some contrasts can be difficult for the kidneys to process, thus putting unnecessary hardship on them.

Please let us know how you are doing and the results of your diagnostic tests. I will be very interested to know how you are doing.... and will be thinking of you.

My Best,
~Tuck
Could our telomeres hold the key to curing cancer and preventing aging? Learn more in this article from Missouri Medicine.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Keep your bones strong and healthy for life