Septic shock recovery

Does anyone have any experience with septic shock recovery.  I became septic from a kidney stone blockage and was rushed to emergency.  My blood pressure was extremely low, I was in 80% renal failure and they were worried about my heart being strong enough for surgery.  I was in ICU and on a vent for 7 days.  After I woke up they kept me for 5 more days.  This was almost 6 months ago.  I am 57 years old.

It took a couple of months to get enough strength and stamina to do somewhat normal things.  I still have lingering effects though.  My strength and stamina are still way behind from when I got sick, if I have an active day I pay for it the next.  I have tingling in my hands, face and scalp.  I have muscle and joint aches.  I started losing hair 2 or 3 months ago.  I swear my memory is affected.  My neck is very stiff and somewhat immobile.

I have gone to my family doctor and Urologist for check ups but they are unable to help with these symptoms or direct me to someone else.  Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?  I am so frustrated.  I was in pretty good shape for my age before this.  I went into the hospital 57 and woke up 87.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Welcome!  I cannot profess to have experience with what you've gone through, but I do notice that there have been many posts by people on Medhelp regarding their experience with sepsis.  I see you located this long thread:
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Senior-Health/recovery-from-sepsis---head-pain--fatigue/show/945376

I noticed someone on that thread said to get the endocrine system checked out.  Have you done that yet?

Since you already posted on the above old thread, you may have already also seen these threads:
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Senior-Health/Sepsis-and-Septic-Shock---still-sick-5-years/show/1704596

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Senior-Health/Sharing-my-experience-with-sepsis/show/1932927

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Senior-Health/recovery-time-from-pneumonia-and-sepsis/show/1196599

What is your kidney function like now?  What kind of GFR do you have?  

Have you tried the natural medicine route at all?  

Have you tried a licensed, experienced Chinese acupuncturist/herbalist?
Helpful - 0
I have not had septic shock but I have experienced many of the other symptoms you mentioned.  I noticed I only had to shave every two to three days.  My hair started coming out and I was very weak and getting weaker.  As a computer programmer, I started having a hard time concentrating and solving problems.  I talked to my PCP and he checked my testosterone and it was very low.  Everything reversed once I started the testosterone replacement program and everything seems to be normal now.

Good luck.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for your info.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for your input.  My kidney function is good thank God. I will check into what u recomended.
Helpful - 0
Praise the Lord about your kidney function!  That is a real blessing!
Helpful - 0
Sorry to hear that you have been so unwell.

If you haven't had your blood checked, it may be a good idea for your doctor to take do a blood test to check our your iron and Vitamin B12 levels.  Lack of B12 can cause memory problems with neuralgic pain symptoms.

Also get your urine checked to make sure that you do not have a urinary tract infection.  These type of infections can make you feel unwell as well as affect the memory.  Make sure that you drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and this will also help to avoid getting further kidney stones.

You may benefit from some multivitamins and a tonic to pick you up.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Best wishes.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Geriatrics Community

Could our telomeres hold the key to curing cancer and preventing aging? Learn more in this article from Missouri Medicine.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Keep your bones strong and healthy for life