Travel Problems

As you all know, I have been diagnosed with Severe Depression (a Mental Illness?) and I am awaiting the outcome of my G.P's deliberations Clearly I am going to be given Anti Depressants and Psychotherapy. I must therefore consider myself a Mental Patient. Am I going to have problems getting Visa's or Insurance. Does anyone know the likely answer to this?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Possibly. If you have ever mentioned you are suicidal, and it gets into the TSA database, you may not be allowed on an aircraft. The problem with insurance is in flux. Everything has changed with Obamacare. Realistically speaking everyone is depressed now and then, and sometimes, especially after a traumatic event, the depression may be severe and last quite a while. I would not be so quick to accept "treatment", to include drugs or psychotherapy. A few sessions with a psychologist may help. That would be my next step. Then a nutritionist. Then insure you get adequate sunlight and get a vitamin D3 level. Finally start to exercise regularly. Affiliation with the religious group of your choice may help. Psychotherapy is a very controversial, and to some a discredited (I have no opinion) treatment modality.
Helpful - 0
Thank you for responding to my queries. I do excersize very regularly. At 74 I walk around a golf course 4 times each week. My depression, though severe is family orientated, and whilst it might rear its ugly head in the near future, I am now a lot more prepared for it. I have already started medication and I do expect it to be followed by psychotherapy. Are you suggesting that my name will now go onto a register somewhere showing me as a Mental Patient or are you warning me from admitting it. I do not have much in the way of suicidal tendancies. Again thanks for your input
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Geriatrics Community

Could our telomeres hold the key to curing cancer and preventing aging? Learn more in this article from Missouri Medicine.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Keep your bones strong and healthy for life