colon cleanser

what do you sugest as an efective colon cleanser??
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi Pasq,

You've asked a more difficult question then you might imagine. I assume by "colon cleanser" you mean enema .... or do you mean laxative?

The issue with suggesting enemas is they are not for everyone. If you are a candidate then other things need to be considered, like do you retain water, do you have a cardiac problem or any other medical conditions that might determine the best one for you? Sometimes the softening ones (like oil retention) are okay for most ppl but again much depends on your general health.

If you are asking about laxatives the same concerns apply to the ingestion of oral colon cleansers. Usually bulking agents are considered safe as long as you drink plenty of fluids (water) and have some degree of activity.  

I am sorry I could not be of more help. If you can provide additional information it may be beneficial. You can contact your physician's office, (usually the nurse) will have the best suggestions for you...and safe you the cost of a visit.

I wish you well and hope you'll let us know how you are doing.

Peace,
~Tuck
Helpful - 0
What is the purpose for a colon cleanse in your case?  Unfortunately many colon cleanse products on the market wipe out all the good bacteria in your gut that are required for digestion and good colon health.  I would look very closely at any product you use and either consult your physician or in the very least your pharmacist.  Make sure you inform them of any medications you are taking or have taken in the recent past and of any diseases or conditions you may also have.
Helpful - 0
Aren't you suppose to clean your colon when your stool is pencil size, constantly passing gas and  smells etc ?? i'm sure i've read that somewhere...
Helpful - 0
Sorry pasq, In all my years I've never heard or read that suggestions regarding colon cleansing. I doubt that is associated with the medical profession. Enemas are normally reserved for evacuating stool or medicated as a treatment for some bowel diseases.

I found this from a trusted site: “We used to believe that size was indicative of a problem if the stool was ‘pencil-thin,’” ........ “But recent research indicates that this is actually not true.”  However that doesn't hold true if this is a change from normal. Ribbon like and pencil thin stool can mean that there is a narrowing in the passage way for stool. Spastic colon can also produce these results. There are other conditions that can account for this form of stool....but again if this is a NEW occurrence you should consult your PCP.

Odorous bowel movements and flatus (gas) is most likely a good sign that your gut is abundant with bacteria that is working hard to keep you healthy. The trillions of good bacteria in your intestines is the reason your "gas" has an unpleasant odor. Enemas will not help this odor or change the form/size of your stool.

Please talk to you PCP. I hope you will let us know how you are doing.

Good Luck
~Tuck

.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Geriatrics Community

Could our telomeres hold the key to curing cancer and preventing aging? Learn more in this article from Missouri Medicine.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Keep your bones strong and healthy for life