depression & low testosterone

does low testosterone level cause depression in 70 year old men?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi Bigbird,

Welcome to the Senior Health Forum. You've asked a very interesting question. I am far from and expert. However everything I read tells me the answer to your question is yes. Low testosterone levels can cause depression at any age.

However depression in senior citizens can have many other contributing factors not associated with testosterone levels. Loss of career, a mate, loss of friends, decline in health, loneliness and many other age related issues can cause depression. I don't know the reason for your question but consider all the factors when making your assumption.

Best of luck to you.
~Tuck
Helpful - 0
Mount Sinai Hospital is currently conducting a clinical trial involving use of a transdermal testosterone patch for those over 65 that should provide a definitive answer to your question.

The answer right now is "possibly".
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Geriatrics Community

Could our telomeres hold the key to curing cancer and preventing aging? Learn more in this article from Missouri Medicine.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Keep your bones strong and healthy for life