Geriatrics Community
483 Members

tia's and strokes

my mom had a severe stroke about 20 years ago and has recovered.  however recently she has been having tias. sometimes once a month other times two in a day.  What does this mean?  What should I be looking for?  Is her body shutting down? she has diab type 2 and needs quad bypass surgery but it is too risky. She is 85
Hi Vac,

Welcome to the Senior Health Forum. I am glad that you found us and took the time to post.

TIA stands for Transient Ischemic Attack. They are also called Mini-Strokes but that is not a good term as they are not a Stroke or CVA (cerebrovascular accident). A TIA is a CVA (stroke) that has resolved or has improved functionality in the affected body part.  By defination a TIA resolves in 24 hrs but most resolve in minutes.

Sadly, TIAs are often warning signs of a future CVA ( stroke). This risk is increased in the days following a TIA.  This does not mean that everyone who has TIAs will have a CVA but the stastics are much higher.

Now is the time to find the reasons for the TIAs and take measures to treat it. Her Physicians can help and should be active in the process.

What can you look for?? ... Signs of a CVA. If it should occur the sooner she gets medical care the better. It's true that minutes count.

Your mom is fortunate to have your love and concern. I wish you both well and hope that you'll keep in touch. Feel free to ask additional questions.

My Best to You Both,
~Tuck
Could our telomeres hold the key to curing cancer and preventing aging? Learn more in this article from Missouri Medicine.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Keep your bones strong and healthy for life