I have: hi grade transitional cell carcinoma of left renalpelvis

I have cancer in my pelvis, taking hydrocodone and oxycodone, get my meds from the VA, they started mailing scrips thru the mail instead of picking up at VA, I have run out befor new scrip arrives, my question is can I take ultrcet til new scrip of hydrocodone arrives without adverse effects. this is just for pain, I do not drink. thak you
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
The VA will FEDEX medications in an emergency for next day delivery upon request.
Helpful - 0
Yes. Be very careful when there is a hiatus in taking opiates such as hydrocodone or oxycodone. The cells "reset". That is how many deaths occur. For example, a person in extreme pain may take 100 mg of oxycodone per day and experience no respiratory distress. If they stop taking the opiate for a few weeks and start again at that dose they may experience respiratory arrest. The body becomes far more sensitive to the actions of the opiates.  If the period of abstinence is more than two  weeks restart at a very small dose during the morning when you won't end of with respiratory arrest at night when nobody is around.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Geriatrics Community

Could our telomeres hold the key to curing cancer and preventing aging? Learn more in this article from Missouri Medicine.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Keep your bones strong and healthy for life