Strange growing mark on Mum in law

Hi. We are visiting my partner's Mum and last night noticed what seemed to be a a very blue bruise on her wrist. It was about 3 by 2 inches big and not raised or painful. She doesn't remember banging it or hurting herself. Over the course of the day it has got bigger and is now about 5 by 2 1/2. She has problems with her blood (though she can't remember what those problems are!) and fakes warfarin, tildiem retard, lisinopril and simvastatin. I'm going to try and upload a photo (I'm new to this!) but would very much appreciate it if anyone could say what it is and if it is dangerous. Her husband died a few months ago and we live hundreds of miles away so we are still at the quick to panic stage. Thanks very much in anticipation.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
This is one of those situations where you cannot take a chance. It may be life-threatening and it may not be. The problem is that leaking blood in the arm may mean a leak elsewhere.
Helpful - 0
Okay. That's brilliant help and we will get her to medics right this minute. Thanks very much for such fast advice. I can oddly be much calmer when I know it's time to calmly panic - I just didn't want to panic her with our overly sensitive neurosis and cause more problems. Again, appreciate your help hugely. Big thank you.
Helpful - 0
She requires immediate medical attention. Yes. It is time for the panic stage. Most likely this is due to the anticoagulent medications. Discuss with her physician the alternative. There are several, including simple aspirin, however according to medical "standard of care" potocols in the United States the physician cannot suggest this unless you bring it up.
Helpful - 0
Have just discovered she has essential thrombocythaemia if that explains anything...
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Geriatrics Community

Could our telomeres hold the key to curing cancer and preventing aging? Learn more in this article from Missouri Medicine.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Keep your bones strong and healthy for life