shingles a little bit ??

I had chicken pox.  I have a minor itch across my shoulders and back.
That want to be scratched. Not enough to be a problem, but why?

or is it just old age?
(I'm 90)
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I'm not GrimJack but wanted to that you for sharing the information. Did you mean glucosamine and not clucosimine?

There was a time glucosamine and chondroitin was hailed as the new wonder drugs for arthritic changes which can destroy the cartridge in joints. Glucosamine and chondroitin are part of normal cartilage. Cartilage acts as a cushion between the bones in a joint.

Sadly there have been studies done that do not hold up the hope that these supplements initially brought to arthritic patients. An analysis of studies looking at glucosamine or chondroitin for osteoarthritis in the hip or knee did not show that these supplements slow joint destruction or relieve pain.

However if they work for you that is awesome. Don't change what you are doing. As they say, don't fix something that's not broke.

Thanks,
~Tuck
Helpful - 0
90 and no bone problems, I  Attribute that to taking clucosimine and chondroitin for 15 years, no pain, no arthritis!

Helpful - 0
Hi Jack - I hope it's okay to call you that.

You have to Join The Pain Couch in order to comment - or any site you wish to place a comment or post a question. Crazy huh?

Thanks for the offer to answer my questions. Life is a question! 0) But today I don't have any pressing questions. Sadly I know about Shingles.

I have an older friend that did get the Shingles vaccine and it made her ill along with a light Shingles like rash - but nothing compared to the actual Shingles. Her husband had no ill effects.

I do have a question - if I may - how much was your Shingles vaccine? Was it covered by insurance. I don't know if you are a senior - but if you are was it covered by Medicare?

Thanks for joining us. I'll look forward to your participation in our forum.

My Best,
~Tuck
Helpful - 0
I tried to reply to your question about where everyone is but I couldn't, sigh! I am home recovering from total knee replacement - that surgery is amazing. I had it on Monday 8/17 was discharged from the hospital on Wed and drove to a friends birthday party on Saturday - I cut my Oxy usage 13 hours before so I could have a beer. I was chastised because it is contraindicated with warfarin (oops). I have been a good boy since.  This went so well that I plan on having the other knee done in November which will give me time to heal before I return to work in January (I am a seasonal worker with the Fed).

Back on topic - my mom had an attack of shingles that was so severe that I immediately got vaccinated, I have so many other pains that I did not want to gamble on adding another source.

I live in Seattle, can I answer any questions for you? I climbed Mount Rainier when I turned 40

but I digress
Helpful - 0
Meant to add I'm delighted you didn't have Shingles. You are aware of the fact that you can get a vaccination for Shingles. Many of my friends have gotten one. I haven't,  I've always been a gambler and may be very sorry I gambled on this one.

Anyway some of the Medicare Supplemental Insurances (Medi-gap) will pay for the Shingles Vaccination - Medicare didn't last I knew. The cost in approximately $225.00 last I checked. You may want to consider checking into this possibility.  

My Best to You,
~Tuck
Helpful - 0
Welcome!

I'm glad you have that "flag" on your golf cart. I gotta get me one! :o)

Stay Well,
~Tuck
Helpful - 0
Great,  crippled but have a handicapped flag on my golf cart'

Helpful - 0
I don't think you have Shingles - but if the rash becomes worse - or doesn't improve please see your medical provider.

Shingles hurts - hurts like heck - it usually burns and the rash forms tiny little blisters.

How are you doing now??

My Best,
~Tuck
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Geriatrics Community

Could our telomeres hold the key to curing cancer and preventing aging? Learn more in this article from Missouri Medicine.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Keep your bones strong and healthy for life