Liver Failure and cirrhosis death, anyone go through this?

If you have lost a friend or close relative to liver failure and cirhosis, please share with me the amount of time they had in "end stage". We are trying to get some idea of what to expect....I have posted on the liver forum...but decided to ask here as well. Thank you all for your time!
Mary Z
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I just lost my father to cirrhosis, he hastened his death by continuing to drink and not eat. It is really hard to say as some days a person can be good and others days bad, but you will generally see a progression of the disease.

A classic sign of end stage liver faliure is reversal of sleeping patterns and easy dosing off.  With my father, he was only in a coma for about 18 hours before he passed. Before I last say him awake, he was lethargic and somewhat confused but if you talked to him directly he would respond. Then when I came back in the morning he was in a coma like state but otherwise fine, then I came back 8 hours later and he was strugling for every breath ( chest and head moving up as if gasping for air) Then while I was at his side, he just stopped breathing and went peacfully.
Helpful - 0
My daughter passed away 6 years ago with liver problems the dr told her she only had so long to live she called me on the phone and one of the hospice workers were tellin her and very loudly now you ttwll you mother that you have 6wk to 3 mo to live i heard my daughter say to them dont you beleive in mirickles. then she got on the phone she did not know i heard this conversation and i got real upset about the nurses they acted like it was another day nothing bothered them she said mom do you still believe in mirickles i said of course i believe in mirckles-she made it-almost 6 wk i dont want to discuss all of it but i think that you should let her have her hope and stay out of it if you cannot give encouragement what does it hurt to let one hope. when they are dying that is the time to give them what they want and need hope you say you are the daughter in law stay out of it if you dont love her enough to let her hope i still miss my daughter but am glad she had that to hang onto instead of the thought od dying.no one wants ti discuss all of the things their loved ones go thru. the hospice nurses she had did not last long she got someome that cared.             god bless the hospice
                                                                               Jo                  
Helpful - 0
my heart goes out to you may god help you with all of your problems I think that with all of the meds in this world no one shoud suffer. i do beleive that a person should have the right to go with dignity but some dissagree saying that i am sorry is so inadequate if you need a frien let me know i will get my e mail to you i will stay in the forumn and i hope that you do also i have lots health issues but i do believe that you are special to help others          jo
Helpful - 0
My mother-in-law has been in the hospital for 50 days with complications from cirrhosis.  The doctor told us a month ago she is in "end stage liver disease".  We have been through several paracentesis, dialysis practically every day, the mental confusion, the bloating.  This is a horrible disease and a horrible way to go.  She seems to be improving one day, then falls back again the next.  The dialysis is not helping to remove the fluid at all, as it is not designed to.  She has the listlessness, can't be still at all, when she is awake at all.  She sleeps all day, with small moments of consciousness, decreasing more every day.  

The worst part of all of it is her doctors not knowing what to do.  They keep telling her "oh you'll get to go home by the end of the week", knowing we have no way of taking care of her at home.  They wanted us to take her off the TPN she was receiving, and to take her off of dialysis.  She ended up coming off the TPN because it was not helping her nutrition level to come up.  However, she is not eating, has no appetite.  We are probably going to be faced with taking her off dialysis soon, because it is doing nothing for her but wearing her out even more.

It is so hard on the family.  No knowing from one day to the next and having to live hour by hour.
Helpful - 0
Two months ago my father was diagnosed with peptic ulcers.  One month later he was in the hospital from blood in the stool and then had a biopsy and was told he had cirrhosis.  Two weeks later he was back in the ER and his kidneys were shutting down.  We have been told different diagnosis by every doctor.  Our family is very frustrated.  He has ascites, portal hypertension, diabetes, kidney disease, adema and varices that were recently banded.  Two weeks ago we found him in a coma with a blood sugar of 17.  He bounced back.  I finally talked him into living with me until our last doctors appointment when we were told he is doing great.  He now moved back to his apartment.  Can anyone please tell me with what he has going on if his time is limited?  I am very concerned and frustrated.  Sometimes I feel that the doctors don't know or don't want to tell us what is really going on.  He also has GAVE
Helpful - 0
i just lost my sister on may26,2008. she had liver failure (end stages) and she only lasted about a little less than a month.   my thoughts and prayers go out to you.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Grief and Loss Community