Liver Failure and cirrhosis death, anyone go through this?

If you have lost a friend or close relative to liver failure and cirhosis, please share with me the amount of time they had in "end stage". We are trying to get some idea of what to expect....I have posted on the liver forum...but decided to ask here as well. Thank you all for your time!
Mary Z
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
My husband had an emergency TIPS procedure done 11-20-06. In the last month to two months he has gotten to where he does not sleep at nights but will sleep all day. He wont or cant get out of his pajamas some days and only moves from the sofa to the bed.  He has Hepatits C and Cirrhosis (acute). Can anyone tell me what to expect from here? He is having large mood swings, but his appetite is good, he gets confused and forgets more and more. I cannot get an honest answer from any of his Dr's and I truely just need to know if we are getting closer to the end or if it is just another bad time that is alot worse than all the others have been. All advice is apprecaited.
Helpful - 0
How is his eating habits and fluid intake? How he feels is normal for the disease as I have end stage cirrosis and hep, C ..my time shiftsand it will vary day to night for rest or sleep.A person has may sleep in day almost like we moved to the other side of the world. I sometimes go to sleep at night and next week ,I go outside and forget what i'm doing .neighbors  think I'm nuts(:     .Your moods change  and interest in things fall off but try to keep him active as possible.I've been fighting this with a NO!!!!SALT DIET AND GALLONS OF WATER. Have had fluid removed only once but daily doses of meds. I came down with this first but I lost a Brother with hep and cirrosis NOV.2006> This is nothing to be lightly dealt with.On his confusion he may be able to increase LACTULOSE for the time. My Doctor lets me tweek the doses for problems. Please check with Doctor first though.The lactulose takes the ammonia away but really is hard on body.Pajamas:::It don't matter but try to get him active .   IT WILL HELP!!
Helpful - 0
April 13, 2008 I stood by my uncles bedside as he passed away from cirrhosis and liver cancer. Unlike most cirrhosis patients, this man lived for 15 yrs with his. Of course he went through all of the medical issues that all cirhosis patients go through such as diebetitis and Hep C and in the last couple of months liver cancer. We watched through the years as this man went from being a very vibrant man to a frail shell of what he had once been. His 15 years of cirrhosis was spent going from doctor to doctor as new symptoms would appear. He would get his stomach tapped every couple of months until he eventually had a stint put in 5 years before he died. The medications he was on varied, some did not have any side effects, and others made him talk out of his head.

Again unlike most cirrhosis patients, my uncle lived a very active life, he did not let his illiness stop him from living. Thankfully when he first was diagnosised, he stopped drinking and became involved in his church, which was something he truely enjoyed. This man enjoyed playing his guitar and singing, so he switched from singing in bars to singing in church and at nursing homes.

Two months before he died, he was diagnosised with the liver cancer. He was told at that point they would not give him and timeline as far as how long he had left, because according to all his doctors, noone knew why he had lived as long as he had already.

Exactly two months after the cancer diagnoisis, I got a call and went to the hospital. His day has started like it had everyday, he had gotten up and had did what errands he needed to do and had come into town and did some running. He got home at around six pm, and was going to get ready to go to church that night. As he got out of the car and was walking to the house, his liver gave out. He started coughing up blood.

My aunt, uncle and cousins decided he would be better off at the hospital so they called the ambulance. By the time the ambulance got him to the hospital, this man had turned the color of a banana. I am not just talking his eyes, he was yellow from head to toe, even his tongue was yellow.

Again he did not progress as most cirrhosis patients do. He stayed very much awake and lucid. Yes, he was still coughing up the blood, and evenually they had to switch to suctioning the blood out, but as he laid there, he wanted everyone to come in so he could talk to them. We spent from roughly 7 pm to 3 am talking to my uncle. He was in pain, but they did give him morphine to take the edge off, but he just had so much he wanted to say.

Well at 3 am they decided to move my uncle out of the emergency room and into a regular room. We explained it to him and told him we would be up to see him as soon as they got him settled. That was the last words we all said to him. He slipped in to a coma while they were moving him. We walked into his room at exactly 3:30, and he was just laying there peacefully. For the next 30 minutes, we stood around my uncles bed singing his favorite hymns as we watched his breathing get slower and slower. At 4:00 am, he took his last breathe. We just stood there for what seemed like the longest time after he passed. We shed a few tears, but also expressed that for the first time in 15 years, he had no pain. For that reason we could not help to feel somewhat relieved for him.

From there it was a flurry of funeral arrangements and people coming and going, and this brought it's own set of emotional issues that I will not go into.

I hope this gives you some idea of what we went through. I wish you the best.
Helpful - 0
His eating habits are all over the board. He prior to this last couple weeks he would eat ( the salt free low protein diet ) like a man twice his size.  The last two weeks he can not or does not eat at all. Maybe jello and yogurt but that is all. The Dr increased his enulose and his spirolactone last week, but either that or somthing has just made him throw up all the time, all yesterday and all night last night.  He tells me he wants to do things ( sometimes ) but says he just cant get up to do it. He does not want to talk like we used to or have any type of affection ( hand holding, a kiss ) he is very very grouchy ( which is totally out of character ) and just seems so sad and miserable. He is a terrible shade of gray, this is new and i don't know what to think about that. Has this happened to you or your family? I cannot go to the Dr with him 99% of the time as I have to work, i am the only income and the insurance provider. We have friends who take him as his Dr is 4 hrs from here. He may know things he does not tell me.I don't know each day if this is the last day or if we have months or years left together. I love my husband and I don't want to "prepare" i just need ( for my sanity) to know what to expect. Am I crazy?? Here i am questioning and complaining and he is the one miserable and suffering each day. Thanks so much for the open conversations, i have no family where we live and thus no one to talk to. Thanks and my blessings to you
Helpful - 0
The gray color usually comes for when the poison from the liver is released into the body. I don't know at what stage this occurs, but when I talked to the funeral director about my uncle being so yellow when he died and in the casket the yellow was gone and he look really good, they told me that generally the poison from the liver will cause the yellowing first and then after the person dies and the body sits for a while it turns very gray. They also said that generally the gray is hard to cover when they prepare the body for viewing. However where my uncle was concerned, they were able to cover well and remove the fluid from his stomach so well that he looked as good as he did when he was a young man.
Helpful - 0
Thanks- This morning and last night he was up sitting on the couch, walking around the yard and although he did not look or sound good ( as he was doing alot of coughing and spitting ) he seemed to be on an UP spin. He was not by any means active but it was a 100% increase from the day prior. Still very gray and the ammonia smell in the house when i got home from work was very strong. I am starting to understand now that this really is a roller coaster ride. I know how i feel I cannot imagine how he does. thanks
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Grief and Loss Community