Gynecology / Women's Health Forum

2 periods a month

i have just turned 40 and my menstrual cycle for the last year has been coming every 15-20 days is there cause for alarm here what could be the problem
I don't quite know what you define as "a problem".   It is not uncommon for women to experience irregular periods in your age group.  Most likely you are perimenopausal which mean that you are very close to hitting menopause.  Menopause is when your ovaries stop producing eggs and you also eventually stop your periods.  Your hormone levels will also change dramatically.  Some other symptoms of menopause are hot flashes, insomnia, moodiness, and mental slowing.  During the period before menopause, your period will become irregular, like you will have a couple close together and then perhaps skip a month or two.  Eventually you will have fewer and fewer periods.

I assume that you have had a pap smear and pelvic exam in the last year and it was normal.  If you have not had a pap smear and pelvic exam, you need to go get these two things done by your gynecologist.  I would suggest that you go and seen your doctor about this change in your menstrual cycle and address the other symptoms that you may be experiencing.  I would also suggest that you start taking Vitamin D and Calcium.  Once women hit menopause, the decrease in estrogen can lead to osteoporosis.