Gynecology / Women's Health Forum

Abnormal bleeding following intercourse

12/26- annual gyn. check up and pap. Diagnosed w/bacterial vaginitis (started experiencing burning during intercourse earlier in the wk & also during urinating – no pain). Given clindamycin and diflucan. 2 days later I started my period & ended 1/3. 1/5, had intercourse w/hubby - more rough than normal & used hands. Small streak of blood on condom & bright red blood on the toilet tissue after wiping. Wore a pad overnight and no blood on it. Next day more bleeding but never spotted on the pad. There was what looked like very small blood clots (size of an eraser or smaller) too. By the end of the day, noticed only small amounts of pink. 1/7 didn’t have blood until the evening.
1/8 I saw gyn. for another exam/pap. Found only small streak of blood in vagina & a small cut above cervix. She said I had some swelling in my vagina - no signs of bacterial infection or polyps on the cervix. My last pap (on 12/26) came back normal. On 1/12 will get results of 2nd pap. She told me I was on my way to healing and that she saw nothing wrong. Experiencing mild cramping in pelvis/lower abdomen with this. She informed me this happens with even tiny cuts. I went home and no more bleeding.
1/9, no blood in a.m. though some mild cramping. I was also having an upset stomach and stomach pain associated with it. In the afternoon I had a bowel movement that was a little difficult. A couple hrs later I urinated & after wiping, I noticed a lot of blood again with another small clot. A couple hrs later only pinkish red & no clots. Should I be worried & call my doctor (though I was there yesterday for the 2nd time in 2 wks) or is it just the cut? Can a hard bowel movement cause the small cut to open up and bleed w/clots?
29, child age 4, no birth control, same partner 11 years, never experienced bleeding during or after intercourse or bleeding in between periods. Normal menstrual cycle (every 4 weeks), cramping (some severe), swelling, clotting (no larger than a quarter) and it lasts 7 days
Hi!
I think the bleeding is likely to be coming from the small lacertation that your doctor noticed at your recent check up.  I also think you are probably correct about the bowel movement as the cause for starting the bleeding again.  If you went back to the doctor, I doubt there is much new that they could tell you.

A good rule of thumb is:  if you are bleeding more than one pad per hour for more than one hour, you should definitely call.

At this point, I think I would tell my own patient to wait and see,  If the bleeding continues for more than a week, I would want her back in again! I would also be checking the uterine lining at that point.

Any possibility of pregnancy?

Hope this helps!
Good luck!
Dr B

Thank you for responding to my question. I realize that I was probably overreacting but never having anything like this happen before has made me nervous. I'll be sure to contact my Dr. if this continues through this week.

I suppose there is a possibility I may be pregnant as my husband and I were sexually active before I started my period on 12/28 and again on 1/4. It was a normal period (not lighter than normal), though. Is it possible that I could be pregnant and still have my period? I didn't think that was possible with a normal flow period. I thought you could have spotting that mimicked your period but it would have been much lighter!