Aldara

I was diagnosed with hpv, multiple strains, among which a high-risk one, and I had a leep surgery several weeks later. Now my gyn is telling me that, in order to get rid of any other traces of hpv, we should apply Aldara cream on the cervix. I am having serious doubts about this procedure and I would be most grateful if you gave me a specialized advice: is it ok to use it? Can it actually heal hpv? Thank you in advance for your answers!
Hi!
I am concerned about the quality of the advice you are being given.  I certainly hope that you are over 35 since you have already had the LEEP procedure done.  OR that your cytology showed at LEAST CIN3/carcinoma insitu.  We have really scaled back our indications for the LEEP procedure in recent years.  Secondly, ALDARA is for external use only and should not be applied internally.  It certainly should not be applied on the cervix!
If you were my patient, I would tell you to consider switching to a more conservative physician.
Good luck!
Dr B
Hello Elaine, I appreciate your advice and thank you very much for your reply. I am 32 yo and had the leep in May. The stage was not so advanced though... I think that I will not accept the Aldara treatment, especially since your specialist opinion would not recommend it. I really hope there is some other hpv treatment out there that could work. Please let me know whether we can continue this dialogue in private, on a more doctor-to-patient basis. Thanks again!

You are reading content posted in the Gynecology / Women's Health Forum