Aa
A
A
A
Close
Gynecology / Women's Health Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Cysts and bleeding

I went to the ER because I thought I had kidney stones. (I had an UTI a week prior) They told me I had a HUGE cyst on my L ovary after a CT Scan. I went to my gyne and it was 7cmx6cm. She said that she was not totally convinced that it was not a dermoid tumor. She wanted to "wait and see" so I scheduled an appt for 4 weeks later. 2 days later I began my period (2 weeks early). It is heavy and clotty. Could this mean that it really was a simple cyst and resolved?
1 Responses
603463 tn?1220630455
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi!
It is possible that the bleeding was caused by the cyst rupturing or degenerating.
I'm assuming that you went to the ER for pain, and that could be caused by the cyst rupturing or twisting.  If so, when you see your gynecologist next, the ultrasound will be clear.  If not, the cyst will still be present.  If it is still there, and does look like a dermoid on an ultrasound, your best bet is to have it removed (laparoscopy a possibility?)
A cyst that large will continue to twist if nothing else.
Good luck!
Dr B
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.