Gynecology / Women's Health Forum

Depo-Provera

I was suppose to start my period Saturday however I went in on friday and got the Depo shot.  This was the first shot I have ever received.  I have yet to start my period.  I have always ahd my period before this like clock work so I'm a little confused.  I didn't think to ask the nurse if it would have any effect on my periods. Should I be concerned or alarmed because of this?
Hi!
Depo very commonly causes irregular periods.  If you were my patient, I would do a pregnancy test right away to be sure that is not the reason for the missed period.
If the test is negative, I would chalk it up to the Depo shot and wait and see what happens during the next few months.
Hope this helps!
Dr B
I was a little worried the last couple of days about being pregnant so I took a Home Pregnancy Test and it was negative.  Being on Depo birth control would not effect a home pregnancy test would it?  I made an appointment for Friday. Thank you so much for your answer